Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Driving through high water - sputter

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM

Driving through high water - sputter

I did a search, can't find anything similar.

Driving home in a rain storm today. Had to drive through some high water. Really not that high, maybe up to the running board. Drove though slow. After going through it, the car kept running but no acceleration. (Not really sputtering or anything, just wouldn't accelerate in any way.) Made it to the light, put it in neutral, revved it a bit and it was ok. Didn't throw any warning lights. About ten minutes later pulling into the gas station, almost home, went though a fairly large puddle, it happened again. This time no traction control light pops on. Got gas, and everything went back to normal. This never happened before in heavy rain. I'm trying to figure what may case this. Any ideas?

I'll check tomorrow if it threw any codes. It's still raining like the dickens out there and it's getting dark. In the mean time what do you think?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:31 PM

Yes get the codes checked. Even though the light did not come on there still may be a code in the system that may help point you in the right direction.

It sounds like something it's getting wet that's should be sealed.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Deceased

Also check inside your airbox and the "Whooly Worm" ducting for water, HHR's draw their intake air from inside the right front fender, so water ingestion is a possibility.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:14 AM
Technical Moderator

My guess is the EVAP canister got some in it.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 843de
Also check inside your airbox and the "Whooly Worm" ducting for water, HHR's draw their intake air from inside the right front fender, so water ingestion is a possibility.
Especially if it was up to the running boards.

Also, I try and avoid large puddles or standing water if I can at all help it.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
And, since you said it's never done it before, you might want to check for any obviously dislodged splash shields in this area and underneath on that side.

My previous car (not an HHR) had electrical gremlins that would pop up in the rain and drizzle. There's nothing quite like having the oil pressure light come on falsely when you are out in a downpour... You either get out and check your oil in the rain, or ignore it at your peril.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
My guess is the EVAP canister got some in it.
Hmm, where is the EVAP can on an HHR?

Yeah, had a tad amount of water in the air box. The air filter was partially wet. It is fairly new so I put it in the oven on very low for about an hour. Dried right out. Blew everything out let it all dry. Put it all back and checked the codes.

It threw PO131 and PO171. 131 is O2 sensor I believe. Cleared it and 171 came back with the T/C light on and hard shifting. 171 is the damned exhaust intake manifold valve right? Replaced that once already, I think last year. SOB.

Thats off the top of me head. Really need a bit of research here but its a strange coincidence. I can see the O2 sensor going off because of the water but not that valve. IDK. A little miffed right now.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

If you got water in the air box and the filter, I'll bet the Maf sensor got wet too.
Also, with that 02 sensor code, the wiring for the 02 sensors probably got a good soaking.

Exhaust intake manifold valve ? I don't have a clue what you mean by that.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Had to go out and investigate my car before offering this........But understand I have slightly non stock 2lt suspension, which is slightly lower.

The air intake for the HHR's originates under the front passenger bumper, up between the fender sheet metal and liner, then into the inside fender hole where the wholly worm is connected. That being said, it is entirely possible your car ingested some water under even slight acceleration....also accompanied by the forward progression of the vehicle. As you drive through water, the forward progression "plows" water in front of the tire, thus also raising the water even slightly, as it pushes it to the side. But as you mentioned, regarding the air filter and such, you probably already know this

I would check very carefully for possible internal damage.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 PM

Sorry, I couldn't remember it off hand. I ment the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve, exhaust and intake I think there is. I was close in my assumption, its PO013. Its close to PO131, so jumped to conclusion, lol.

Hmmm, possible internal damage? What would I be looking for?

Last edited by Kookie; 09-03-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Driving through high water - sputter