Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Early 2006 HHR 2.4 oil cooler relocated

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:00 AM

Question Early 2006 HHR 2.4 oil cooler relocated

Why hasn't anyone done this modification? I know that the oil cooler was an feature on the early cars ONLY. It was later delete after they added some more features to the internals of the motor.

I feel that because our early motor DOES NOT have the EXTRA NEW FEATURES to the inside of the motor,it is a MUST that we keep an oil cooler.

THE PROBLEM: The oil cooler seals will get old & go bad and start leaking. The stock oil cooler is located in a bad location. Some people believe the you have to drop the transmission to remove the oil cooler. I have replaced mine ,but I still have a small leak.

THE SOLUTION #1: Either tap the 2 oil passages next to the oil filter & screw in elbow fittings & run hose to a newly mounted STANDARD OIL COOLER located in the lower opening. I have NOT seen this done nor have I done this to my car. I am NOT sure if this will work & I know there is a insert in 1 of the oil passages that might cause a problem.

THE SOLUTION #2: Make an adapter plate that mounts to the oil passages next to the oil filter. The adapter plate has 2 elbow fittings welded in place that will allow to relocate the oil cooler & use a standard oil cooler. You can delete the radiator tap by using the LATER YEAR thermostat housing & one piece radiator hose.

i have seen people in the cobalt community do something similar, but they DO NOT use the same oil cooler as the HHR. I think someone with ariel atom did this to relocate the oil filter & cooler.

Last edited by 843de; 12-27-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:20 PM

i have been looking all over for something like this. It looks like it would solve the oil cooler problem of all the early 2.4 owners.

It is on an Ariel Atom and I'm not sure if tin is still being made. Any help will greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:23 AM
Technical Moderator

I wonder if Pontiac, Saab, Holden etc. folks would know. Hard to believe they would use a cooler on only one model.

I don't think the elimination of the cooler has anything to do with internal changes anymore than the elimination of the intake camshaft mounted power steering pump did.

Do the 2.2L with the cooler have a plate covering a hole on the driver side of the valve cover? That is where the power steering pump was located on some GM models.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:24 AM

The above part can replace this.

And these are the tools I used.

Last edited by 843de; 12-27-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Deceased

OK there Ijazzu, did some editing and removal of duplicate postings in other threads. Asking the same question again and again in several threads will not generate an answer any faster than asking it once.

Multiple duplicate postings just creat confusion, and then your question will get lost in the clutter.

As suggested by both donbrew & Oldblue in their replies to the now deleted duplicate postings, try a Google search, or look for an Ariel Atom owners group.

The number of Atoms in the U.S. can probably counted on the fingers of one hand, so you're looking at an uphill battle in finding that part. It's not impossible, but you may find it more economic to source the proper GM part number 12594525 Oil Cooler which can be found for about $182 online.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Can you explain your comment about "additional features added". As far as I know (and have been told), no additional parts have been added because of the oil cooler deletion. The deletion was supported by ongoing and additional testing, ON STOCK ENGINES, indicating the oil cooler was not needed and provided no improved performance or longevity, thus an economy measure.

But if you have other info, I would appreciate knowing it.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:18 PM

Eliminate External Oil Cooler
The Ecotec 2.4L I4 VVT is no longer fitted with an external oil cooler. Validation tests have demonstrated that, with durability enhancing features such as increased coolant capacity and targeted oil jets that cool the underside of the pistons, the oil cooler is not required even during extreme operating conditions. Deleting the cooler eliminates a potential leak source and reduces complexity and cost of ownership.

With the above part,you can retain the standard oil filter location & just move the cooling to a better location. You will also need to get a later year radiator hose and thermostat housing.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Technical Moderator

So what that says is that they tested and found that the cooler wasn't needed. Not that improvements were made that made the cooler unnecessary.

The 2.4 is entirely different from the non VVT 2.2, I think that's what they are meaning.
Later the 2.2 was redesigned as a VVT and the other improvements from the 2.4 VVT.

Looks like any decent machine shop could fabricate that fitting and find the hose fittings. But how does it eliminate the leak potential since it uses the same O ring seals? Just easier to fix?

Oh and the only difference in the t-stat housing is a plug on the outlet, available for under $5. I just replaced mine because it sprung a leak.

Last edited by donbrew; 12-27-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Administrator

By the time you buy the adapter hoses AN fittings, remote oil cooler mounts that will be more than just buying the replacement oil cooler part. And yes they both use the same o ring set up, so that will no eliminate o ring leaks

Last edited by Oldblue; 12-28-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

X2 what donbrew says!!! Nothing been added.

Quick Reply: Early 2006 HHR 2.4 oil cooler relocated