Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

ABS code and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Question ABS code and service traction control

Hi everyone I'm new to this site but have come here in the past for help with my hhr.

I currently own a 2007 hhr lt. My problem that I have is my service traction comes on in the display window and the abs light as well a traction control light comes on saying that it is off.

I put a computer to it and the 2 codes that I get are these as follows.

C0035
1. Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Supply (Subfault)
2. Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction (GM Only)

C0040
1. Brake Pedal Switch "A" (Subfault)
2. Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction (GM Only)

I have already replace the brake pedal switch and this is still happening. I was told that it is possible that my body control Module is bad?
I did replace the both wheel bearing hub assembly's as well and no luck.
My car does this even when the car is parked and idling.
I have even had it to where my park brake lights has come on while driving, this has only happend 2 times.

any ideas?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2017, 04:18 PM

Hi slowgo, to the forums!!

Have you cleared the codes since you replaced the hubs?
Old 01-14-2017, 05:08 PM

Hi Rj RS SS 350. Yes the codes have been cleared after the work was performed. I just cleared the codes again and not more then 3 minutes later the lights al came back on. but they do not stay on all the time.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Technical Moderator

A wire or 2 is broken or frayed.

I don't see any mention of the Brake pedal position sensor (there is no brake switch) in the Shop Manual for c0040.

I only see your 2. description for either fault.

What it means is that a wire has been compromised somewhere between the wheel speed sensors and the ABS computer (EBCM).

Did you replace the hubs before or after the fault appeared?

Stop talking to whomever referenced the BCM, they don't know what they are talking about.

The parking brake light is an entirely different PROBLEM. Have you checked the brake fluid level?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 AM

Hi Donbrew, The hubs where replaced because I had bad wheel bearings. Before I replaced them I didn't have these codes popping up.

I did a ohm check on the sensor as well as the wires leading back to the computer and everything seem to be ok I didn't have any flucuation when I ohmed it out.

I will have to do some digging and go through the wires leading back to the computer and see if I can find any frayed wired or corroded wires.

As far as the Park brake light goes no I have not checked my fluid as of yet. This light has only come on twice and has not since.

The person that mentioned the BCM was only trying to make a sale of course, but i truly beleive that it is the wire harness or possibly the sensors.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Technical Moderator

The sensor plugs have been known to be poorly connected. The sensors have been known to be bad. How soon after the hub replacement?

The wheel speed sensors connect directly to the EBCM (the computer in question). The BCM has no connection except to relay the error to the dashboard.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

I seem to recall an old thread or article about very cold weather/low brake fluid/brake warning light coming on.
Might have even been a TSB. Just can't recall it.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Administrator

You mean this, FMG

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...message-20983/
Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Technical Moderator

That has to do with a warning on the DIC, not the parking brake light.

I was actually thinking old fashioned cars. The only thing that turns the parking brake light on is the parking brake light switch. The cable or the brakes are not properly adjusted.

The micro switch is #1 in the drawing, on the passenger side.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Funny thing. I happened to be looking for a small water leak in my Dodge truck this morning. Somewhere high up on the drivers A pillar.
The funny part was I had to remove the parking brake assembly so I could see up in there. I guess it was some weird karma that had me working on this and trying to also answer in this thread at the same time.

The Dodge
ABS code and service traction control-parking-brake.jpg

Quick Reply: ABS code and service traction control