Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine miss..then surge

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:56 PM

Engine miss..then surge

I've been noticing this for a while now.

Driving the car down the road, it acts just fine and get to a stop light where you sit for a minute or two and I start to feel an engine miss, when I feel it do that,
I start to look at the rpm gauge and notice that it's bouncing like a miss and almost wants to stall but then it surges and runs normal, no miss.

Does it once at almost every stop light.

No check engine light or anything. Have 52k miles now.

Any ideas before I take it in?

Run some seafoam through the gas first and see what happens?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 AM

I dunno but if you find out what it is, let me know. Mine does this intermittantly. It's still under warranty and I've asked them to look at it when mine was in for many other issues, but it never happens for the dealer.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM

^^ Well two of us so far have this going on. I've got an extended warranty so I'll see if I can get it in asap.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by tooter1
I've been noticing this for a while now.

Driving the car down the road, it acts just fine and get to a stop light where you sit for a minute or two and I start to feel an engine miss, when I feel it do that,
I start to look at the rpm gauge and notice that it's bouncing like a miss and almost wants to stall but then it surges and runs normal, no miss.

Does it once at almost every stop light.

No check engine light or anything. Have 52k miles now.

Any ideas before I take it in?

Run some seafoam through the gas first and see what happens?

If you have a 2.4L try checking this ground.

Document ID: 2132794
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIP4412: Idle Surge Lack Of Power And/Or Stall At Idle - Inspect Ground G107 - (May 8, 2008)

Subject: Idle Surge, Lack of Power, and/or Stall at Idle - Inspect Ground G107

Models: 2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR

with 2.4L Engine (RPO LE5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may describe an intermittent idle surge, rough idle, lack of power on acceleration, stall at idle, and/or stall when coming to a stop. The engine will restart fine it stalls and the engine will run fine off idle. They may comment that this occur with a cold or hot engine. Upon inspection, it is unlikely that any DTCs will be stored. If a DTC is stored, it will most likely be a P0300 due to some random misfires that may occur during the concern.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnosis does not isolate a cause for this concern, inspect G107 on the transmission bellhousing (shown below) to see if it is loose or corroded. This ground is for the MAF sensor, ECM, TCM, and P/N Switch. Even if this ground cable feels tight, place a wrench on the nut to see if the nut is tight. If okay, perform a voltage drop test by attaching a DVOM from G107 to the negative battery post with the engine running. Typical voltage drop for this ground is normally around 50 mV. If a concern is found, disassemble and clean the ground, reassemble the ground, and re-evaluate the concern.

Name:  1546027.jpg
Views: 35410
Size:  30.2 KB

1 Transmission Case
2 C100
3 G107
4 Engine Harness
Old 05-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Founding Member

Here is another if you have a 2.2L with an automatic.

Document ID: 2133982

#PIP4416: Intermittent Stall When Coming To A Stop or Engine Chuggles Prior To A Stop, Hybrid DTC P1A6FIntermittent Stall When Coming To A Stop or Engine Chuggles Prior To A Stop, Hybrid DTC P1A6F - (May 12, 2008)

Subject: Intermittent Stall When Coming To A Stop or Engine Chuggles prior to a Stop, Hybrid DTC P1A6F

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Colbalt, Malibu, HHR

2007-2008 Pontiac G5, G6

2007-2008 Saturn Aura, Vue

equipped with 4T45E transmission including hybrid

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The customer may have a complaint of a chuggle or stall when coming to a stop. This may be cause from momentary to fully applied torque converter causing excessive loads on the engine.

BAS Hybrid Vehicles

If this condition is experienced on a BAS hybrid the engine tachometer will drop to Zero and not Auto Stop. There would not be a command for an auto-stop. The engine may restart using the 12v starter and set a DTC P1A6F.This may lead the technician to incorrectly suspect the hybrid components.

Recommendation/Instructions:
A partially or momentarily applied TCC maybe caused by a restriction in the transmission cooling system

Please note a possible restriction in the transmission cooling system may not allow a sufficient volume of fluid to properly release the TCC.

To properly diagnose for possible restriction in the transmission cooling system, complete the following:

Check the transmission cooler for restriction.

Check the transmission cooler lines for bends or kinks

Check the transmission cooler line fluid passages (behind the fittings) for any restriction.

Repair the concern as needed.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM

Thanks ChevMGR. The 2.4 ground issue might be it on my car. I'll have to mention it next time the car goes in for service. I just got an oil change so if the car behaves it may not go back to the dealer for 6 months. It will still be under warranty then so I will probably wait for the oil change.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 PM

We were having that same problem with Sara's car. we had it at the dealer 4 times and they even put the DTC reader that fits in the cup holder to record all the times it was messin up and yielded no results. We finally told them to keep it until they fixed it or give her a new one and they replaced the fuel injectors. Its hasn't hiccuped since but for about a month after we got it back the best mileage we got was 15per gallon. its getting better now, we are back up to 21-22 in the city. I have a new set of plugs to put in because i figured it probably fouled them out only running on 3 cyl. LOL

now we just have to bring it back to get the shifter fixed and for some reason at 13k miles the lift gate sounds like its going to fall off...
Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 PM

Thanks ChevyMgr. I have the 2.2L, auto.

Does that second procedure apply to non-hybrids?

I checked that same ground point on mine and got it to tighten. Hopefully that will cure it.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by tooter1
Does that second procedure apply to non-hybrids?
Yes.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 PM

Well, the tightening of the ground wire didn't solve the problem.

I may need to take that ground apart and clean those connections and see what happens.

I've also checked the computer for trouble codes and their are none, pending or otherwise.

I'm leaning toward the trans TCC tho.

Quick Reply: Engine miss..then surge