Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Engine Performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:47 AM

Engine Performance

Hello all,
I have a 2008 HHR Lt. Recently, When i go to accelerate, It seems like the engine isn't giving me full power. It is weird because I haven't thrown a SINGLE code. Anyone have any idea whats going on? Thanks In Advance!!!
Old 10-03-2015, 02:10 AM
Deceased

Gonna need some more info.

How many miles on your HHR?

Manual or Automatic?

Any recent work done under the hood, like an air filter change?

Is it a hesitation, or does the engine "lay down" like it's not hitting on every cylinder?

Have you checked your fluid levels, oil and coolant?

The more info, the better.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Gonna need some more info.

How many miles on your HHR?

Manual or Automatic?

Any recent work done under the hood, like an air filter change?

Is it a hesitation, or does the engine "lay down" like it's not hitting on every cylinder?

Have you checked your fluid levels, oil and coolant?

The more info, the better.
Sorry,
70,000 miles
Automatic
Nothing done under the hood.
It's kind of a hesitation. I step on the pedal, It doesn't give me the power then it sort of Wakes up per say and gives me the power.
Oil and coolant are okay.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:21 AM
Deceased

Off the top of my head, where all the gray hair resides, my first two thoughts are.

1. A dirty MAF Sensor.

2. A dirty Throttle Body.

Both can give your HHR a lag off the line, you can clean both yourself, but great care and the proper cleaning chemicals are needed.

MAF Sensors need "MAF Sensor Cleaner", and Throttle Bodies need "Throttle Body Cleaner" available at your local auto parts store.

If you Search for MAF Sensor cleaning and Throttle Body cleaning, you'll find threads on both topics on the site. But keep in mind, both parts can be easily ruined if you're not 100% certain of what you're doing. The Sensors aren't that expensive, but the Throttle Body isn't cheap.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:23 AM

Off the top of my head, where all the gray hair resides, my first two thoughts are.

1. A dirty MAF Sensor.

Both can give your HHR a lag off the line, you can clean both yourself, but great care and the proper cleaning chemicals are needed.

MAF Sensors need "MAF Sensor Cleaner", and Throttle Bodies need "Throttle Body Cleaner" available at your local auto parts store.

If you Search for MAF Sensor cleaning and Throttle Body cleaning, you'll find threads on both topics on the site. But keep in mind, both parts can be easily ruined if you're not 100% certain of what you're doing. The Sensors aren't that expensive, but the Throttle Body isn't cheap.
Thank you so much sir. I will try this when I get off.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:54 AM

1. A dirty MAF Sensor.

Sorry to bother you... I could not find a thread on cleaning the maf or where it is even located... I am sorry
Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 AM

Here is one link
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...careful-51786/
Old 10-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Deceased

And here's another, it'll show you the location of the MAF Sensor and how to correctly remove the airbox assembly, and if your engine air filter hasn't been serviced lately...it's a good time to replace it too.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/main...-filter-10757/

Sorry for the delayed reply, and many thsnks DrLoch for helping a fellow Member.