Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fram Oil Filter O-ring sucks!

Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM

Thumbs down Fram Oil Filter O-ring sucks!

Last oil changes I have issues with oil leakage at the oil filter cap even tough I torque cap to specs (18 lbs)
When torqued to specs the O-ring pops out because O-ring is too soft (my opinion)
Not easy to find the right torque because not enough torque creates oil seapage as well

Any recommendations for another brand of oil filters?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Wix or AC delco
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Not to state the obvious but make sure the o-ring is correctly seated in the groove on the cap. If it is put on past the groove, the lip of the cap could pinch the o-ring and squeeze it out.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Somewhere on here I previously posted a GM memo to dealers regarding the failure of some o rings that come with aftermarket oil filters. GM stated that their o rings are proprietary material that are SUPPOSED to last the life of the car. Just a warning from their investigation of oil filter leakage complaints.

Although I keep an extra couple of OEM o rings in my tool box, I have yet to replace the original because of leakage/breakage, etc.

Can't speak for other brands, but the AC filter works well.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Not to state the obvious but make sure the o-ring is correctly seated in the groove on the cap. If it is put on past the groove, the lip of the cap could pinch the o-ring and squeeze it out.
That was my first thought. It goes into the groove, not above it like a gasket. I cannot figure how torquing the cap down could have any impact on the O-ring, it lives inside the "can" not between the cap and the "can".

And, I have never bothered torquing. I just snug it down by hand on the wrench extension. Never had any seepage at all.

just my $.02
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Administrator

I just changed oil and oil filter last night , used a fram filter I have always lubed the o ring with a touch of fresh oil , never had a leak , have sam 2.2 in both my 2003 Sunfire GT and 2007 HHR, change filter every oil change every 3,000 miles , never had this issue, I will be very attentive to it in future thou
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

I borrowed this picture from sleeper, a member here. Not real clear, but it shows where the O-ring should sit in the groove in the cap. The O-ring should not be installed flush against the cap edge.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Yup I know how it works ... doing my HHR oil changes for more than 5 years now, and never had any issues at all - until now
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 PM

Sounds like you may have a cracked filter cap. Look at it very closely, expecially at transition points where diameters change. Also look at the housing itself for small nicks or burrs that may be catching the O-ring preventing it from going into the housing. If you find a metal burr that needs to be cleaned off, put some rags into the empty housing first so that absolutely nothing gets in. Sometimes it helps when looking for cracks to use a digital camera and view the image on your computer monitor where you can enlarge and find something that you would have missed otherwise.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 AM

I've never changed my original o-ring. Still no leaks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fram Oil Filter O-ring sucks!