Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

front-end clunk/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 06:46 PM

In wiring my HHR for towing I removed the wheel liners. The front wheel liner has a foam pad in it similar to the one for the front fascia. Not sure it could make a clunking noise but the clip that holds it to the wheel liner really doesn't hold it. It could be bouncing on a bump and amplifiying ????
Old 05-17-2011, 04:53 AM

That is one thing I haven't thought of. I Will Have to check That out. Thanks for the idea!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Left front stabilizer link replaced. (part # 20784688) Clunking has left the vehicle. I'm a happy man. They didn't replace the right side link but I guess that's how it is with warranty work. It is a "certified" used car purchase so I have 14K miles left on warranty. I'm guessing the right side will go out in that time.

Thanks for all the comments! Y'all nailed it!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:56 AM

Mine Still feels like it is in the steering wheel. I'm not comfortable with trying to take anymore apart that I alrady have tried due to Mostly the air bag being involved. I am Not one that knows alot mechanically & don't understand about alot of stuff like that, but I Can Feel it along with Hearing it.
That May Not be the Only noise I hear, but definitely is one of them. After I try to see if I can get that taken care of or at least eliminate that as a potential problem, Then I Will work on looking into the others that you guys have mentioned.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 AM

Front end PROBLEMS 06 HHR

It has been absolutely unbelievable the amount of problems I have had with this first year model car.
My first experiences started less than 20k with the brake pads wearing so much. I have had three different sets & two new heavy duty rotors go bye, bye all this before 82k I've had a new sway bar put on at 50k & Now the dealer tells me I have worn out the struts by 85k & need another sway bar
I talked with the GM dealer, (the original dealer went under with the GM cut back) & even though this amount of problems with the front suspension & brakes there still isn't a recall.
Any suggestions other than dump this first year HHR?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:56 AM

I sure would like to know why there was never a recall. I just got my '06 in February, and with my credit Not being the best (Had a BAD divorce & even Worse Marriage), I had to finance the vehicle for more and longer than I would have liked, but now I can't dump it, trade it, or even afford to try to fix everything that it could need. I Really Wish I Knew All about this prior to deciding on this one. I Don't Know What to do, I am going nuts trying to figure out what & how to do! Everybody tells me I Should have kept my '03 Ford Explorer XLT, BUT it had 180,000 miles and a knock in the engine that sounded like a brood of trick-or-treaters on Halloween. Of course it didn't take even ONE WEEK before the dealer sold that, so I couldn't even say, "Forget it, & give back Mine!" That is One lesson for the 'live & learn the hard way'. The only Good thing that is different between the two is I get a bit more mileage to the gallon, But Have to Wonder if it Really IS Worth it.
The HHR had almost 43,000 & now has 44,800 miles on it.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM

after replacing front shocks and sway bar links, still had the clunk. So... went to a different mechanic... an old-school (67 year old) guy spent an hour "refurbishing" the big bushings that attach the sway bar to the frame (jammed in more rubber), and now the clunk is finally gone! he guarantees it will last years. hope so. he saved me having to install a new sway bar and bushings and labor...!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by eklektro

he saved me having to install a new sway bar and bushings and labor...!
Cool, but why would you have had to install a "new sway bar" ? Not necessary.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Anyone with issues in terms of rattling just do this at tax time its what I did last year on my Cobalt:

Fe5 struts/shocks=$386 or so at CEG
Moog Endlinks and Control arm bushings (bushings were the main culprit of a horrid rattle) = Dont remember price but wasnt expensive.
I had a little dash rattle as well, so I took the dash off and covered the underneath in the open sections with fatmat. works wonders now I have ZERO noises. Only other things that can go back to make that clunk are Swar bar/bushings (less common) and the input/intermediate shaft.

But the MAJOR way that I figured out what the exact problem was after 1 hour on the lift not really figuring it out, I had my buddy drive the car out (I work at chrysler dealership) and he had to stop short because someone came flying around the corner. When he did I visibly saw the front wheels move forwards then backwards in the wheel wheel, the whole thing just jolted forwards and back, thats how we know if was the CAB's. because they didnt seem shot on the lift.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by breds2k
Anyone with issues in terms of rattling just do this at tax time its what I did last year on my Cobalt:

Fe5 struts/shocks=$386 or so at CEG
Moog Endlinks and Control arm bushings (bushings were the main culprit of a horrid rattle) = Dont remember price but wasnt expensive.
I had a little dash rattle as well, so I took the dash off and covered the underneath in the open sections with fatmat. works wonders now I have ZERO noises. Only other things that can go back to make that clunk are Swar bar/bushings (less common) and the input/intermediate shaft.

But the MAJOR way that I figured out what the exact problem was after 1 hour on the lift not really figuring it out, I had my buddy drive the car out (I work at chrysler dealership) and he had to stop short because someone came flying around the corner. When he did I visibly saw the front wheels move forwards then backwards in the wheel wheel, the whole thing just jolted forwards and back, thats how we know if was the CAB's. because they didnt seem shot on the lift.
Maybe tax time is good for you but that's the time of year I have to cut a big check TO Uncle Sam.

Quick Reply: front-end clunk/rattle