Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front End Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:11 AM

Front End Rattle

Driver side only I believe. You can hear the rattle when going over bumps in the road, the slower you go, the better you hear it. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

Do a Search.
There are many, many threads in regards to the infamous HHR front end noises, rattles. Just about every possibility has been discussed numerous times on this site.

Just to give some examples of what has been discussed: struts, strut bearings, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, lower control arm bushings, wheel hubs, and etc.

And. If looking for advice, it's always best to post your year, model and mileage.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the input. Well its an 09 LT with 41k on it.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

If it's a "light rattle" when going slow like you say, I'd first suspect the Sway Bar Links that connect the ends of the sway bars to the control arms.

A heavier "thumping/Banging" noticed easily when crossing speed bumps at an angle, kinda points to the Sway Bar Bushings (sometimes one can feel them through the floorboards).

More info on the problems other owners have had with those components can be found by using the Search Tool at the top of the page - each item is fairly easily replaced at minimal cost in the driveway.

Part numbers and sources for the appropriate parts can be found in this thread - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...-part-i-48833/

Keep us posted if you can, on the resolution. :)
Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Technical Moderator

Use your topic title in the search box. There is a thread that includes a very detailed TSB on the subject.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 PM

We’re sorry to hear of your rattle concern, dpreston387. We understand that you are seeking advice from the other forum members for a fix. If further assistance is needed, we’d be happy to help. Feel free to send us a private message in reference to this thread if we’re needed. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Much Appreciated!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 PM

After changing just about everything up front except the shocks, I finally found the culprit......steering shaft !!!! Noise is gone.....start off by changing the least expensive stuff and work your way up till the clunking goes away......

Hope it helps
Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 AM

steering shaft? really? is that dangerous- or just irritating. while i hear odd buzzing kind of irritating, like loose door panel coming from driver side, somewhere in dash/driver door area...

(i have eliminated major clunks by renewing sway bar bushings and the sway bar links which were shot.
then rear end clunked and it was broken shock that affected so badly that trunk door clunked too. now the rear coil is broken, but it does not make sound).
Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by finnhhr
steering shaft? really? is that dangerous- or just irritating. while i hear odd buzzing kind of irritating, like loose door panel coming from driver side, somewhere in dash/driver door area...
No. Just irritating.

You probably have a loose panel connector. Or a noisy (failing) speaker.

Quick Reply: Front End Rattle