Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 11:28 AM

Fuel Filter

Where's the fuel filter? Can I assume its in the fuel tank and not serviceable? I could not find a listing anywhere. MIKE.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:10 PM

Thumbs down No Fuel Filter

Good question
It appears you are correct. I've check the owner's manual AND the genuine Chevrolet HHR shop manual and I can't find a fuel filter. There is a mesh fuel screen in the "fuel pump module" (This contains the screen, electric fuel pump, the fuel level sensor (sender), and the fuel tank pressure sensor). If any one of these functions fail (except the pressure sensor which is replacable separately) the module must be replaced.

GM PART # 15850486
CATEGORY: Fuel Tank Meter Sender/Connector
DESCRIPTION: MODULE KI
GM list is $320

Big buck$

The fact there is no true filter to protect the fuel injector$ seems silly to me. I sure would like to hear from a GM trained HHR technician to confirm or correct me if I'm missing something.

How about it Mr. Goodwrench ?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dave C
Good question
It appears you are correct. I've check the owner's manual AND the genuine Chevrolet HHR shop manual and I can't find a fuel filter. There is a mesh fuel screen in the "fuel pump module" (This contains the screen, electric fuel pump, the fuel level sensor (sender), and the fuel tank pressure sensor). If any one of these functions fail (except the pressure sensor which is replacable separately) the module must be replaced.

GM PART # 15850486
CATEGORY: Fuel Tank Meter Sender/Connector
DESCRIPTION: MODULE KI
GM list is $320

Big buck$

The fact there is no true filter to protect the fuel injector$ seems silly to me. I sure would like to hear from a GM trained HHR technician to confirm or correct me if I'm missing something.

How about it Mr. Goodwrench ?
Thanks for your reply. I hope to hear from others on this situation. MIKE.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:16 AM

have you looked under the car to try and locate the filter?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:31 AM

Unless they have changed the design of their fuel injection systems, the fuel filter should be a separate "component" that can be replaced on it's own.

Where it is located, I have no idea.

When I had the fuel filter replaced on my 2003 Malibu last year, it added about $70 (CDN) to the cost of the work I was having done at the time.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:49 PM

New GM trucks have the filter intergrated with the pump. Not a "single" item to replace. It's replaced as the pump is replaced.

I bet the HHR is the same.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:01 PM

fuel filter

I Am A Gm Master Tech. There Is No Fuel Filter. It Is All In The Pump Now. All The New Gm Car And Trucks Are Coming This Way Now.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by pccwqcom
I Am A Gm Master Tech. There Is No Fuel Filter. It Is All In The Pump Now. All The New Gm Car And Trucks Are Coming This Way Now.
Thats what I was affraid of. Thanks for confirming our worst fears
Looks like a very good reason to invest in a locking gas cap. Fuel contamination would be really expensive.

I don't understand the thinking. Chevy has had fuel filters for over 50 years to protect clunky old carburetors that could digest boulders, compared to our fuel injectors.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:50 PM

WTF is that. Man now I have to add a remote mount fuel filter. WTF was GM thinking.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:06 AM

If the pump is in the tank, a remote filter will help but if your fuel pump is in the tank it will not be protected.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter