Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Yep Plastic just blowing up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 PM

Yep Plastic just blowing up!

Hi all new here. Just bought a used 2009 2LT with 43k on it. Was a rental and like a fool I bought it.

I like the look and thought I did my research before I laid down 13k for this but I never found this forum until I already owned it.

After reading here I am scared as hell. Many of the problems being discussed here I have too! How is it possible a car company can keep selling something so flawed?

Now I had my vent time I will post my question.

I have not had a passenger in the car much and when I did the seatbelt would lock and it would not pull out. After hours of online searching I found the service bulletin (here actually) dealing with this exact same problem. It says release height adjuster push down and reset to your height.
Yes that did release it but it would lock everytime. It cant be expected an owner should do the method stated above to use the seatbelt each and every time.
Cutting to the chase after several of these release procedures the plastic button that releases the height adjuster exploded and now its non functional.
I again searched and could not find anything. I called the dealer today and as expected I have to replace the entire adjuster $49 for a 5 cent cheap plastic button. Like the door handle I read about.

Does anyone know if this button can be had any other way?

I know $49 is way cheap comparing to many of the repairs many have to deal with but I also have many of the big ones needed addressed too. I have the balance of the 5/100000 mile warranty but most issues are not covered.

I have the noise in the right front when cold (the rubbing sound, squeaky, clunk. Yeah all three. The dealer replaced the calipers and rotors and wheel bearings before I bought it so I know it has the brake problems I read about.

I keep seeing more little dents on the body all the time but the car is parked in my driveway most the time as I do not use the car much.
I have the lock issue on the rear back door.

The front seat cover on the rear bottom is off (service bulletin for that too) it says to drill holes in the cover and wire tie to seat spring. Says the clips cant hold the tension.

This is my first Chevy and will be the last for sure.

But I like the look!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to to site sorry you have some issues to work thru.

Don't want you to think Chevy is the only MFG. who makes things that break, If I listed all the things I've had to replace on my 69,000.00 BMW it would make you cry,I mean really they say its the ULTIMATE driving machine. Even though I had to fix stuff that seemed dumb to me,I still enjoy the car it is fun to drive.Although I prefer my short bus,and I have a wish they did list for it too. I'm just glad I can't afford a Ferrari, I bet they left off a few things too. Any way at least the HHR's look good.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 AM

SS fan..
I know there are no perfect cars but damn...my Ranger pickup just keeps running looks good and the interior is made Ford tough...really is no foolin
The mustang runs great is a little flimsy on the interior but I can count on one hand the number of repairs I made on it in the last year.
I do not want to start the old Ford Chevy debate but I think the HHR is a Fiesta priced at 27k
I am stuck with it for now and hope the others here will be a good source of how to for all the repairs.
Anyone know where I can get the button.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by likedthelook
After reading here I am scared as hell. Many of the problems being discussed here I have too! How is it possible a car company can keep selling something so flawed?
I'm sorry, how is Chevy doing wrong by selling the HHR? How is the HHR so flawed? Is it because you've experienced a minor problem with your seat belt thing? I'm sorry to hear you've had some issues, but things can break on any car, whether it be Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Honda.... No car is perfect, otherwise everyone would be driving it. For the most part, the HHR is a great vehicle. That's not to say people don't have problems every now and then, but it's really a good car overall. It may have a few little quirks that have to get worked out from time to time, but once yours is fixed and working well, I'm sure you be as disappointed as you are now. Don't be scared as hell... I would say the majority of people have very few problems with our HHRs. When you see all the posts of people complaining about this or that, just remember: people always seem to take the time to vent about the bad things. When something goes wrong, they always seem to let you know. But most of the time, people don't take the time to say how great their HHR has been to them or how they haven't had any major problems. I can say that I am extremely happy that I bought my HHR, and I do not look back and wonder if I should've gotten something else; I do not regret my decision at all. My HHR has been incredibly reliable and useful, and I have not had to replace anything besides regular wear-and-tear items like brakes, suspension, tires, etc. Many people here on the forum bought one HHR, liked it so much, then later went out and got another one, and now they have two HHRs. I would get another HHR in a heartbeat. But

If you want a Ford, then go buy a Ford... But it's not like Fords don't ever have any problems either... Hope you get your HHR fixed up, and can be happy with it!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 AM

Oh, and by the way, on a more positive note:

Welcome to the site!! Hope you enjoy your HHR once you get it fixed!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 AM

I am sorry I did not mean to turn a post into a pity party. I just keep reading post after post about brake trouble, strut troubles, sway bar issues, end link troubles, lock trouble steering issues and much more. Many owners started with problems at 10k miles. I wont debate that here but from what I am reading the HHR has many issues.
I do like the look and ride and way it feels so I hope I can get things worked out and hope I have better luck than those I have been reading about.
Really hope to find the needed button for now.
Sorry did not mean to stir up bad feelings.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I am sorry I started things negative. I promise there will be no more of that.
Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Deceased

Welcome and Greetings!

As far as the issues you've had, the front end noise could be any one of a half dozen things, really need more info if you could. The seat cover coming loose might just have to be put down to your HHR's history as an ex-rental, they can take a pounding unfortunately.

The height adjuster problem should be taken care of by replacing the now broken adjuster assembly, its been a while since anyone here reported a problem with one. And the dents, HHR's have thin sheet metal like everything else on the road these days, the biggest issue is the top of the front fenders. Never lean on the fender tops as you'll have dents or ripples for sure, I know because my dealer's tech "installed" some for me, thankfully the paintless dent guy got them back out.

HHR's are endearing vehicles even with their foibles, some things about them could be better, but you can say that of any vehicle. Once you get yours debugged you'll see that even with a couple of odd character traits, you've got something special and fun to drive.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the welcome. I am sorry I started things negative. I promise there will be no more of that.
Thanks
I am sorry I did not mean to turn a post into a pity party. I just keep reading post after post about brake trouble, strut troubles, sway bar issues, end link troubles, lock trouble steering issues and much more. Many owners started with problems at 10k miles. I wont debate that here but from what I am reading the HHR has many issues.
I do like the look and ride and way it feels so I hope I can get things worked out and hope I have better luck than those I have been reading about.
Really hope to find the needed button for now.
Sorry did not mean to stir up bad feelings.
It's all good... I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way. I am usually a nice person... I just don't want you to be to upset with your HHR too much. Once you get your issue worked out, it's really a cool little car. I really think you'll like it! I don't want you to think it's gonna be a terrible car and that. It'll get better. I can understand how if you buy a car and have a problem come up right off the bat, you might not be too happy. I understand that, I get that. Hopefully, you can find your button and get it fixed, and then you won't have to deal with anything else for a while. On the plus side, at least it's not a real major thing. An inconvenience, nuisance? Yes... But it's not going to cost a ton of money. As far as brake issues, strut problems, end link troubles, etc., it seems like some people have those problems, but a lot of people don't. It's something that gets brought up from time to time, but I wouldn't particularly say it's a real problem across the board...

By the way, we all love pictures, if you want to show off your new ride...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

MY FORD runs good once i paid Chuckie to put new heads on it and the drivers seat flops backwards cause the cheep pin broke off and I haven't fixed it yet But it is just a machine I'm keeping it cause I couldn't trade it in they didn't want it they did however take my ford truck that I was running straight Lucas oil additive to make it quiet enough to hear the radio. But they all will have some issues.

Quick Reply: Yep Plastic just blowing up!