Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuel Leak Threads Merged....

Old 11-05-2015, 06:15 PM

Fuel Leak Threads Merged....

I have been smelling gas for a month now and today I seen it dripping for the first time near the left rear wheel I see it is not just me what is the best way to fix this

Last edited by 843de; 11-12-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Welcome to the site

Here is a thread with the same problem https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...ck-tire-49784/

The best way is to replace the fuel line completely. It also the hardiest.

If your lucky you may be able to just replace the bad section. You can cut the line and use compression fitting to replace a section.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

By replacing the leaking part? I'm sorry, but, if you are looking for a "fix" over the internet, you really need to provide more info. And a picture would help, as there are a number of components back there that can be the cause of your problem.

It might be best to just take it to a repair shop for a diagnosis and fix, rather than risk a fire or further damage.

ps: using your email address as your member name is not a good idea (same as for posting it openly on the net), as it is an open invite to spam emails that can render your email useless. If you wish to change your member name, contact the administrator (843de) and he can make it happen.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! X2 as Whopper as stated!!
Old 11-07-2015, 06:29 PM

I predict that GM will be forced to do a recall for the fuel lines.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Don06
I predict that GM will be forced to do a recall for the fuel lines.
And I predict just the opposite Don, as long as there has been road salt, fuel lines and brake lines have been rotting through on cars and trucks in Snow Belt States and Provinces.

It's just one of those deals as vehicles age in areas that have proper snowy winters, things rust out or rust through. And with the Takata Airbag debacle, plus the more recent "Dieselgate" affecting VW, Porsche, and Audi. I think that the folks at NHTSA have rusty fuel lines so far down their list, that it to them is a non-issue.

Carnac The Great has spoken.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Fuel line clip leaking?

Dripping gas directly from this clip at about a drip about every four seconds. Located in front of the drivers side rear tire. I haven't been able to figure out how to remove this clip safely to see if I can patch this fuel leak with epoxy style putty or not. Can't narrow down the name/part number of the clip either... in case I need to order a new one. Any tips or tricks to users who may have run across this problem?

Old 11-08-2015, 02:35 PM

Another shot of the same:

Old 11-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

1st off. You can't fix a fuel line leak with epoxy. Especially if it's the pressurized side of the supply line. Not safe and doubt it would work anyway.
You should do it correctly. Either cut out the damaged section and replace with appropriate new fuel line or replace that entire section.

As far as the clip. Either cut it off or just pop out the end that secures it to the car body. A flat screwdriver should do the trick.
If you get a whole new fuel line assembly, it should come with a new clip.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the warning. What I am looking at isn't some kind of end point on the line? I was afraid that the clip was some kind of transfer point between systems. There appears to be some kind of shield or insulation past this point.

I was also concerned that the leak wasn't in the tubes, but in the metal behind this area, that's why I intended to use Permatex Fuel Tank Repair putty. Am I even in the right area of the actual tank though?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Leak Threads Merged....