Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 05:56 PM

Fuel Pump

Hi guys, I apparently have a fuel pump to buy as I have the hard start issue.
Fuel pressure is 58-60 psi until pump kicks off after initial key on. Once pump kicks off pressure immediately drops to 0. While running pressure is steady at 58-60 psi. My guess is regulator is just not holding. No leaks anywhere.
Anyway can anyone tell me if there is any difference in pumps as according to Rock auto there is different O.E.M. numbers. Would this be different wiring configuration on plugs.
2008 LT 2.2 Auto.
VIN 3GNCA23DX8S710779
Old 09-08-2016, 06:03 PM

Are you aware that is a Major job to replace the pump??

The tank needs to come out. It's inside.

GM told me it is suppose to be a lifetime pump but ?????????

I have never done it or heard of anyone that has but Maybe Don will know.

SF
Old 09-08-2016, 06:06 PM
Technical Moderator

Not sure when, but there was a minor wiring change made. The 2 gauge wires are reversed, just need to inspect and reverse if needed.
I would not go cheap, there are some crappy brands out there. I can't remember the full name of a notorious brand, it has "air" in it's name.

I watched a guy in a shop, on a lift, do one in 20 minutes after draining the tank. Just 2 bolts, it's a light plastic tank.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:35 PM

Major job? Not really to my skill set but I am going to have next door shop to my work do this one for me. I am just looking to save some major cash by buying online, even though I do get jobber pricing at my local parts stores.
Saves me pretty much $100.
Don by my reading that's what I had seemed to remember reading somewhere in the countless threads I have read through. I guess a call to the dealer to get the OEM part number is on tap.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Technical Moderator

Could just go to any online GM parts store. I would trust them more than a local dealer.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:02 PM

True enough Don. My eyes are getting a little bugged out right now and the 4 AM wakeup for a ride into the middle of Quebec wilderness to a outfitters camp is looming. So tomorrow will be another day. Thanks, I had thought of that too. Just wasn't sure if I can search by VIN or is it just by year/model. Mid year changes lost in translation or not. LOL
Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 PM
Technical Moderator

Wasn't mid year, not Chrysler.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:10 PM

BUDZONE, I just did this replacement this past July in my front driveway. Not a big job. Make sure to empty the tank as much as possible in order to make it the lightest possible. I purchased a Delphi unit from Advance Auto Parts and am completely happy with it. Biggest issue I had was with the not-so-quick disconnects. Be assured that repair parts are available for the connectors and for broken/cut tubing. I wish you the best in whichever way you proceed. By the way, I have a 2007 LT2.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:55 PM

Just a quick followup. I purchased the AC Delco pump from Rock Auto along with new spark plug boots. Finally had pump installed last week and put new boots on. A1 now as it starts and runs the way it is supposed to. CEL cleared within a couple hours. Savings by buying from Rock auto paid for the pump install.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:35 AM
geg

There is an interesting experiment of the Belarusian colleague.
The goal - to save money.
In short:
He disassembled the fuel pump, he threw the motor and put in its place a new motor, with the appropriate power, pressure and other parameters. The fuel pump is restored and works fine.
There is information about the polarity change. There is information about replacement of some tubes / hoses.
Goal reached, the savings amounted to about 150 dollars.
Perhaps it would be useful or just interesting for you.
Here is the link. Use the Google translator. ????? BigMotors.By ? ???????? ???? - ?????? ???????????

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump