Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Growling up front...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM

Question Growling up front...

I am having a weird growling/rubbing sound coming from up front for the last few days, and the car is going into the dealer tonight. Pretty sure it is a wheeel bearing as it appears at about 30mph and varies slightly when you swerve from side-side. Not engine related, as it is still there when I shut it off and coast. Very disapointing at only 43K miles...

The question is, could this be what has been causing the P2138 TPS/Pedal positon Sensor error I have been gettting intermittantly for the last couple weeks? It does say "service Traction control and service ESC" at the time the code pops up... I know the sensors are in the hubs, so it could be related right?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
I am having a weird growling/rubbing sound coming from up front for the last few days, and the car is going into the dealer tonight. Pretty sure it is a wheeel bearing as it appears at about 30mph and varies slightly when you swerve from side-side. Not engine related, as it is still there when I shut it off and coast. Very disapointing at only 43K miles...

The question is, could this be what has been causing the P2138 TPS/Pedal positon Sensor error I have been gettting intermittantly for the last couple weeks? It does say "service Traction control and service ESC" at the time the code pops up... I know the sensors are in the hubs, so it could be related right?
Yep! You are correct in your thinking. Bad bearings often will throw codes for traction control or antilock brakes.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM

I had my driver's side hub assembly replaced at 47,000 miles, it was covered under the 100,000 mile drive train warranty

see this thread:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/wheel-bearing-replacement-25253/

I don't think its a very common problem, I didnt find much when I did a search when mine first started.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I thought it would be covered, but I wasn't sure. I'll be taking it in in a little bit and it is always good to be informed before you get there!

I sure hope this cures the SES light that's been coming on. That has been a real PIA to stop and shut off the car to eliminate that "Engine Power Reduced" crap. Zero turbo boost = zero fun!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 PM

Assuming that it's a bad hub bearing assy or a bad CV joint, before taking your HHR into the dealer for any warranty claim please make sure that you have the stock valve stem caps and EOM factory approved wheel weights applied the the factory wheels (that have been certified document rotated) and that your wife isn't slightly over weight so that your claim can not be refused or rejected.

P.S. Be additionally careful not to tell the service writer that you always take three left turns leaving your neighborhood before taking at least one right turn as this could lead to an abusive pattern causing a warranty
rejection. Other than that you might be in somewhat goodshape.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:16 PM

They called and said the right front hub bearing was bad, but that wan't related to the P2138 DTC I was getting. The service writer said they feel it is due to the accelerator pedal again, and that they are going to replace the complete assermbly now as "a courtesy" as they worked on that area previously before the 3/36 warranty was expired. Had to order the part so we'll see how long I am without and SS...

Last edited by CarlsSS; 09-16-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
I am having a weird growling/rubbing sound coming from up front for the last few days,
Make her ride in the back.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by ksfis43
I had my driver's side hub assembly replaced at 47,000 miles, it was covered under the 100,000 mile drive train warranty

see this thread:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25253

I don't think its a very common problem, I didnt find much when I did a search when mine first started.
I just had mine replaced last week at 1,300 miles (drivers side). 4th time to the shop since new
Old 09-18-2009, 08:01 PM

thanks for these information
Old 09-18-2009, 10:10 PM

Just an update... Got the SS back after one night stay in the shop. Put on about 100 miles since and it seems to run and drive fine. No SES light coming on and nice and quiet up front... Yes, even with my wife riding with me! LOL

Tomorrow I get to replace the LF wheel bearing on my Riviera. What are the chances of them both going in the same week? Maybe it is sympathy pains? Well at least I got 215K miles on the Buick's as I am pretty sure they were original yet!

Quick Reply: Growling up front...