Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Shift Solenoids and other codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Exclamation Shift Solenoids and other codes

Hey guys! I'm looking for some insights on my car. Let me start by telling you how my car's been acting. I have a 2010 HHR.

In December, when driving down the road, the car screeched and jolted and felt like it changed into park and then back out. No explanations. Car was fine after that.

In April, the check engine light went off and my vehicle started jumping up to 4,000 RPMs after reaching about 60mph, and staying there. Finally got the codes pulled and here's everything that came out:

P0138
P013E
P0700
P2271
P0974
C0750
C0760
C0765
B1325
B0081
P0974

Most shops are telling me I've got to pay to drop my transmission and replace the solenoids. They don't even know which solenoid needs to be replaced or if it's a whole value pack that needs to be replaced. Even a freaking Chevy dealership couldn't give me straight answers.

I have had repeated electrical issues with the car, with the most frequent issue being that whenever I use any spare set of keys OR when my car is jumpstarted, the hazards go off every time the brake is engaged. Some other minor light issues seem to happen occasionally with no explanation. And the right speaker only kicks in every once in a while.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, first off, let's see, per

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0138

Pertains to the second O2 sensor.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0700

Pertains to the transmission, but it's a communication error.

So, this tells me
A: inspect ground wires, there one just off to the right and down from the oil filter cap.
B: check the condition of the battery in the back, it's possibly original and 7 years old!
and it could be failing.
C: inspect the fuse box underneath the hood as they do tend to loosen up and cause electrical problems.

These buggies are noted for these troubles when the battery dies
Old 06-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Technical Moderator

The reason the car acts funny when you use your "spare key" is that it does not have a PK3 chip in it, or if it does have the + in a circle on it nobody ever learned.

When jumpstarting what are you using for ground? Why are you jumpstarting often enough to notice? A dead battery will trigger theft deterrent mode.

I am taking a wild guess that somebody has done some after-market wiring modifications.

I would check for varmint sign under the hood and dashboard.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:09 PM

Checked the fuse box and a few were a bit loose. Still trying to figure out exactly what the vehicle needs

Forgot to mention that my cruise control has not worked since the check engine light turned on. The vehicle doesn't shift past 3rd gear. There's a bout 120,000 miles on my HHR, got it a year and a half ago at 60,000 miles. Have only kept up with routine oil changes, tires, and brakes.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Not the fuses, the fuse box.
It is 2 parts; the upper part holds the fuses, the lower part holds the connections. Also, someone may have messed with the connector on the TCM, the smaller of the 2 modules under the Darth Vader hood in front of the fuse box.

The cruise control will not work when a performance related code is present.

Also, the connector to the transmission, next to the linkage.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Technical Moderator

The b0081 is the passenger presence system is broken
B1325 means some power circuit is bad
The C07xx codes are the TPS sensors
P0138 means a short to voltage in the #2 O2 sensor
P013E means the #2 O2 sensor is not working right
P0700 is a generic "transmission fault".

Put all of those together and it screams "there is a wire or 2 frayed".

I would especially look for wires touching the exhaust. Also, the aforementioned varmint damage, they love the flavor of wire insulation.

These codes have NOTHING to do with transmission solenoids.

What happened to the car immediately before all of this started happening?

If any shop saw these codes and tried to pull the trans you should report them to whatever authority covers them. And never go back to them.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:16 PM

I'm agreeing with one of donbrew's(and oldblue!) observations - If you have to jumpstart it often, the battery may be on it's way out. Your local auto parts store will probably test your battery and charging system, in the vehicle, for no fee. These vehicles are power hungry, and sensitive to low voltage conditions.

And to the forums!!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 PM

Hey guys! Got around to checking the fuse box and there was a loose connection. Turned the car back on and the check engine light is now off, however cruise control still does not work and my car still has shifting problems.

I worked a gig in December that required me to haul about 1300 pounds behind me in a trailer for around 400 miles, could this have caused damage?
Old 06-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Technical Moderator

Go to an auto parts store and get the stored codes, many of them can cause the shifting and cruise problem. Also check you center mounted stop light.

You could do the battery disconnect thing; disconnect negative cable only for 20 minutes. That will clear any stored codes and re boot the computer.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Possible. Check your brake lights, if a bulb is out then the cruise won't engage, like the third brake lights

Quick Reply: Shift Solenoids and other codes