Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > Hatch door does not stay up
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: 05-19-2010
Location: Florida
Member #: 20997
Posts: 11
Check out my gallery 
Hatch door does not stay up

A few days ago, I was rear-ended under 5 mph. There was no damage except for a few scratches so I let it go. Today I went to lift open the hatch and it does not stay up anymore, I am guessing something happened to it from the hit. Has anybody ever had to deal with their hatch door not staying open? What did you do? What type of place should I take it to to have it fixed? Thanks for any advice.
veedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #2
Moderator
 
goetylsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-2010
Location: Green Bay, WI
Member #: 19345
Posts: 1,718
Images: 23
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub View Post
A few days ago, I was rear-ended under 5 mph. There was no damage except for a few scratches so I let it go. Today I went to lift open the hatch and it does not stay up anymore, I am guessing something happened to it from the hit. Has anybody ever had to deal with their hatch door not staying open? What did you do? What type of place should I take it to to have it fixed? Thanks for any advice.
Sorry to hear about your fender-bender!! I noticed this was your first post! Welcome to the site!! I'm not positive, but on my HHR, I have a pump or shock-type pole thing (sorry, I don't know what they're called) on the inside of the liftgate on each side of the car. Maybe there could be something wrong with those??? It's hard to say, and I'm not very smart when it comes to cars, but that was just the first thing that came to mind. Hope you get it all figured out. I'm sure someone else will probably know more about it than I do.
__________________

2007 Chevrolet HHR 1LT -Sport Red Metallic- 2.4L engine, Bright Chrome Appearance Package, Running Boards, Chevrolet Windshield Decal, Ruby Red IPCW LED Tail Lights, Draw-Tite Hitch, Ebony Interior
goetylsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Join Date: 04-09-2006
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Member #: 757
Posts: 3,566
Images: 60
Check out my gallery 
goetylsd is referring to the black hydraulic struts on each side of the hatch. They are a snap to replace, and be picked up from your chevy dealership (sorry, no idea onthe price). Any good auto parts store like NAPA, Shucks/O'Rileys, Autozone etc. should also be able to get you a replacement. I expect the price should be ~$30-$45 or so each.

Likely you will find one of the struts is leaking fluid (visible on the chrome rod that telescopes out of the black cylinder) and will need replacing (they are not repairable). If no fluid is visible, you will have to remove each strut one at a time to see which one is shot - if it does not extend firmly with good pressure on its own, it's shot. Once extended it should need a good deal of pressure to collapse it back down into the black cylinder - if it doesn't, it's shot..

Similar struts are used under the hood to hold the hood up.
__________________
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-25-2008
Location: Hudson Florida
Member #: 11445
Posts: 758
Images: 22
Check out my gallery 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
goetylsd is referring to the black hydraulic struts on each side of the hatch. They are a snap to replace, and be picked up from your chevy dealership (sorry, no idea onthe price). Any good auto parts store like NAPA, Shucks/O'Rileys, Autozone etc. should also be able to get you a replacement. I expect the price should be ~$30-$45 or so each.

Likely you will find one of the struts is leaking fluid (visible on the chrome rod that telescopes out of the black cylinder) and will need replacing (they are not repairable). If no fluid is visible, you will have to remove each strut one at a time to see which one is shot - if it does not extend firmly with good pressure on its own, it's shot. Once extended it should need a good deal of pressure to collapse it back down into the black cylinder - if it doesn't, it's shot..

Similar struts are used under the hood to hold the hood up.
Welcome...I bought a pair of used struts off E-Bay for $20
__________________
My new 2008 Panel with SS wheels
ohnomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Moderator
 
goetylsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-2010
Location: Green Bay, WI
Member #: 19345
Posts: 1,718
Images: 23
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
goetylsd is referring to the black hydraulic struts on each side of the hatch.
Thanks!! I'm glad you knew what I meant. I knew what I meant, but I didn't know what they were called. Your name sounds a little bit better than mine.
__________________

2007 Chevrolet HHR 1LT -Sport Red Metallic- 2.4L engine, Bright Chrome Appearance Package, Running Boards, Chevrolet Windshield Decal, Ruby Red IPCW LED Tail Lights, Draw-Tite Hitch, Ebony Interior
goetylsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
New Member
 
Join Date: 05-19-2010
Location: Florida
Member #: 20997
Posts: 11
Check out my gallery 
Thank you!
It is the passenger side hydraulic strut that is leaking fluid. It seemed that 2 migrating wasps lead me to figure that out, and seeing there were fluid stains on the right side of my bumper.

I cannot see how to actually take them off to replace them. Can anyone direct me to any on-line instructions or post here how I can do so? Thanks again!
veedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-18-2008
Location: Moved to Camaro 5 forum
Member #: 8301
Posts: 519
Images: 2
Check out my gallery 
They are just a snap in, ball and socket arrangement with a retainer clip. On the back side of the the strut, where it connects the hatch and also body, you'll see a horizontal slot under the retainer clip. Just use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry it out. The clip is spring steel and flex over the ball stud.
__________________
TRADED: 2008 VR HHR SS auto
Current:2012 Silverado 1500 RC 4X4
2011 SGM Camaro 1LS auto
Ratracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Moderator
 
Join Date: 04-09-2006
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Member #: 757
Posts: 3,566
Images: 60
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratracer View Post
They are just a snap in, ball and socket arrangement with a retainer clip. On the back side of the the strut, where it connects the hatch and also body, you'll see a horizontal slot under the retainer clip. Just use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry it out. The clip is spring steel and flex over the ball stud.
Great description!!!
__________________
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: 05-19-2010
Location: Florida
Member #: 20997
Posts: 11
Check out my gallery 
just replaced it today, bought the strut at CarQuest for $25. It was very easy and your description of how to take it out was perfect! Thank you everyone for your assistance.
veedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Premium Member
 
BlackknighT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-29-2009
Location: Long Island
Member #: 16682
Posts: 1,856
Images: 97
Check out my gallery 
depending upon how old your HHR is (and not that I want to spend someone else's money) you might be better off getting the other side a new one. During the winter the struts sometimes get sluggish and may not hold up the hatch that well if one is new and the other old. Sorta like getting one knee replaced when you need 2, then your walk is over compensated now resulting in hip failure... Or a hatch on the head.
__________________
World English Dictionary-hearse (hɜːs) n 1) a vehicle, such as a specially designed HHR or carriage, used to carry a coffin to a place of worship and ultimately to a cemetery or crematorium
BlackknighT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 PM
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

   
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.
vBulletin copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Vb Style © vb-skins.com

Advertising - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Cookies - Jobs

Copyright © 2005 - 2013 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.
Chevy HHR Network Forums