Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Heater blows cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Heater blows cold

Hey, new here :-)

My heater is blowing cold for most of the time with a period of here or there that it will get hot and may go back to cold and stay cold. Coolant level is full and temp stays normal. Before I start throwing parts at it as a guessing game, has anyone experienced this with their car?
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, yes, it was the thermostat, if you have not changed it or the coolant, time to do just that!
We highly recommend using Dexcool in a 50/50 mix with distilled water!
And get the correct AC Delco thermostat, other brands don't seem to open in the time frame the computer is looking for, this causes the CEL to come on and the code P0128.

Read this handy how to!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...l-p0128-24493/

http://www.jcwhitney.com/p3042205/sku-3503285.jcwx
Old 01-15-2017, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

It helps us help you if you give the cars info like year, model, mileage, how long you've owned it, etc.

You stated "temp stays normal". If you mean by the gauge on the dash, they're not real accurate. Turn to the digital coolant temp reading in the car's info center and check it there. Below 180 degrees after warm up usually will point to a bad thermostat.

Most likely it's the thermostat as Oldblue said. Start with that 1st. If that's not it you may have a blend door problem under the dash. ( a kind of rare issue)
Blend door is way more complicated to fix.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:35 PM
Technical Moderator

Did you not have a check engine light?

By coolant temp do you mean the digital read out or the analog.

If no check engine light and the digital temp is around 180F, I think you probably have either an air bubble or a clog in the heater core.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you not have a check engine light?

By coolant temp do you mean the digital read out or the analog.

If no check engine light and the digital temp is around 180F, I think you probably have either an air bubble or a clog in the heater core.
The digital temp sits about 180 and ya no check engine light
Old 01-15-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Welcome to the site.

It helps us help you if you give the cars info like year, model, mileage, how long you've owned it, etc.

You stated "temp stays normal". If you mean by the gauge on the dash, they're not real accurate. Turn to the digital coolant temp reading in the car's info center and check it there. Below 180 degrees after warm up usually will point to a bad thermostat.

Most likely it's the thermostat as Oldblue said. Start with that 1st. If that's not it you may have a blend door problem under the dash. ( a kind of rare issue)
Blend door is way more complicated to fix.
Howdy!
It's an 08 SS with 85,000, original owner.......yea I think the thermostat might be a good start. I'll double check again what the digital temp is sitting at.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

180 F would be a little low compared to what other SS owners see. Mine usually stays around 185 to 190 while moving. Can get a little hotter while sitting at a red light.

Many HHR owners have experienced thermostat problems. Both in the regular and SS models.
The original thermostat design wasn't very good for the long term. They can fail because the rubber O-ring deteriorates and dislodges from the center of the stat.

P.S. If you're the original owner and have never changed the Dexcool, you're overdue. Now is a good time for a thermostat and coolant change.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:02 PM

Agreed, I never see 180 after warmup. That being said, even at 180, the heater shouldn't blow cold air.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
180 F would be a little low compared to what other SS owners see. Mine usually stays around 185 to 190 while moving. Can get a little hotter while sitting at a red light.

Many HHR owners have experienced thermostat problems. Both in the regular and SS models.
The original thermostat design wasn't very good for the long term. They can fail because the rubber O-ring deteriorates and dislodges from the center of the stat.

P.S. If you're the original owner and have never changed the Dexcool, you're overdue. Now is a good time for a thermostat and coolant change.
Thank you! Yea I've never changed the dexcool, I know the stuff is crap😳 I'll start there.....
Old 01-15-2017, 10:09 PM
Technical Moderator

I trust you mean your DexCool is worn out, since it is more than 5 years old. Not that you think DexCool is a bad product.

Quick Reply: Heater blows cold