Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Driver's door doesn't lock from remote

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Driver's door doesn't lock from remote

hi, i got my 09 HHR in november and i have an issue

i couple times ive opened my drivers door and the alarm goes off, i just assumed i had pressed unlock or something. But ive now figured out that the drivers door doesn't lock when i lock the car from the remote, something is probly wrong right? thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Jace1283
hi, i got my 09 HHR in november and i have an issue

i couple times ive opened my drivers door and the alarm goes off, i just assumed i had pressed unlock or something. But ive now figured out that the drivers door doesn't lock when i lock the car from the remote, something is probly wrong right? thanks
Take a look at the opening hole for the lock rod. Some are not enlarged enough or not completely round, so the knob rubs tightly against it and causes the rod not to move. Mine was almost round but not quite. I can't remember what I used, maybe an exacto knife or a razor blade and I trimmed the area and it has worked ever since.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:53 PM

I think I have the same thing with the opening for the knob. I'm supposed to go back to the dealer tomorrow but I'd fix it myself if I could. Does the knob unscrew?? If I unscrew it will it just screw right back on or do I need some sealer or something to hold it on?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM

battery

the little battery in your remote may be going bad. our local part stores will check and replace them. mine has quit working twice. there is a very small notch that is nearly impossible to see on the remote, it is where the ring goes thru it , in the center of the 2 halfs. i am very careful , put my knife in and pop it open. take out the battery , paying close attention to which side goes up, positive on mine. the battery will slide right out. careful not to bend the pieces that hold it. i rub it with my t shirt. put it back and everything is fine. i have magic battery charging fingers.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:03 PM

In my case the HHR is brand new and the passenger doors and the rear doors all open okay. This is definitely a mechanical thing in the drivers door linkage. Sometimes it doesn't open and sometimes it doesn't lock. It's not moving far enough by about 1/8" and I can do the same thing with the door lock button.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM

i went out and messed around with it, physically pushing it up and down. its working fine at the moment, will update if anything changes, thanks. i still love my hhr! haha
Old 02-27-2009, 03:24 PM

same problem

I had the same problem. Drivers door wouldn't lock, but all the others would. found out it was the BCM computer. It was bad and had to be replaced. Supposedly the BCM works all the electronic parts in the car. If it is malfunctioning the door locks seem to be the first place to show the problem. After replacing the BCM, my door locks have worked perfectly. It cost me $500.00 to replace the BCM.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:03 PM

Just got back from the dealer. Told them about the lock problem and suggested the fix mentioned by ChevyMgr, thanks ChevyMgr. Unlike the other dealer I have dealt with in the past these guys didn't get an attitude about me suggesting something. The tech took the panel off, found the lock worked correctly without it, opened the hole up with a round file, put the panel back on and was done in 20 minutes. Fixed the broken clip on the fuse panel cover and washed the car and I was gone in 45 minutes. Like these guys!!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 AM

Did a search for "door lock" and found this thread.

I have a similar issue, but mine is an '06 and I've had it for a while without this problem. I am now getting an intermittent driver's door lock failure.

- sometimes when shifting to park, the driver's door lock will not unlock.
- sometimes when pressing the remote to unlock, the driver's door will not unlock.

Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 AM

Sounds just like my problem, and it was fixed by using a round file to open the hole in the door panel.

When the door panel was off the lock worked fine so that proved it was the panel opening and not the door mechanism.

Quick Reply: Driver's door doesn't lock from remote