Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Heater Motor Resistor Question(s)

Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM

Made a phone call to Shaheen Chevy, kinda ticked off........okay, very P.O'ed. And whoa and behold my HHR is in their shop and I have a loaner. They are disassembling the HVAC system and cleaning it and doing any and all repairs caused by water intrusion. Plus paying me back for the AC Delco parts (always buy the Good stuff)..Gratis.
The knowledge gained on this forum was the key......incredible. If your HHR is leaking or your fan speed is acting up, contact your Chevy dealer. I don't care how many miles are on it. Make them fix it, the seal will fail in any heavy rain or snow unless they do.
Shaheen is trying their best to make sure I am happy, and by God if your in your HHR.....you should be happy !
Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by skyeglen
Local NAPA dealer said he's only had a couple calls for resistors.. But, he's only been open a little less than a year. He will try to keep 1 in stock if he gets a couple more requests.

After 13 months and over 30,000 miles the resistor was the first $$$ I've spent on the HHR that was not my choice so I'm sure not complaining.... (Not counting oil, filters & regular maintenance items.)
What's the NAPA part number for the heater resistor ? ?
Thanks, Dave
Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 PM

Righteous! Resistor fixed the fan problem. now gotta fix that leak!

Doug
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 AM

I just ordered my new resistor from ebay, GM part for 23.95 and free ship. I too fixed the crappy cowl patch. I cleaned cowl area and patch with starter fluid (Ether) first and sealed with a tube of clear silicone and it's "Dry as a Bone" so far???
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM

My daughter takes the HHR away to college. While she's home for Christmas break, I was planning on taking it on a trip to Columbus, Ohio - 600 miles each way - the day after Christmas. Christmas day, the whole family piles into it for the family get together, and I notice the heater fan is only blowing on high. I ask her about it, and get the, "Oh. I forgot. It's been doing that for a while." response. Not having time to look it over, I take my pickup on the trip (spending a bit more on gas...). When I get back, I did a search here and found out about the resistor. A call to NAPA and they tell me they'll have one the next morning. Having already pulled out the insulator, I replaced it right in the parking lot.

All speeds working!

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Waldo, the usual culprit for a fried resistor is water leaking in thru the cowl area. The water usually ruins the heater fan motor also.

Didn't see what year your HHR is but the leaking cowl happens on the '06 and early '07's. I belive they changed the design mid '07 and there were no leak problems after that.

There is a good how to for the repair in the how to section if you have one of the years affected.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 PM

Would someone please tell me the resistance specs for the 4 pins of the blower resistor for a 2007 HHR? I want to confirm that mine is shot before I buy a new one.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Alvis. Alvis. Alvis. So. You didn't believe me and donbrew?

All kidding aside. Most folks just replace the resistor. 99.9% of the time that's what it is if the blower only works on high.
Sorry, I don't have the specs on the that resistor. It's just considered a disposable part.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:34 PM

lol. I'd rather not walk out of the parts store with a $25-50 disposable part and later learn that I didn't need to buy it.

I'll guess that a good resistor will measure under 100 ohms per circuit, and a bad resistor will measure over 1,000 ohms on the bad circuits.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Deceased

Even after poking around in the FSM and Mitchell, the exact resistance specs of that part remain elusive, it's a disposable piece with a well defined failure mode.

All that being said, here's a link to ASE's training guide for diagnosing a bad blower motor resistor using a VOM.

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/bl...-resistor.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater Motor Resistor Question(s)