Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HELP! Car Won't Start/Security Light Stays On

Old 07-11-2010, 03:55 PM

Exclamation HELP! Car Won't Start/Security Light Stays On

Hi Everyone,

The hubby & I were out and about last night, and after getting gas for our HHR LS 2006, suddenly (it had started up just fine 3 times before that day) the car wouldn't start, but the headlights and dash lights, etc., would come on just fine, we noticed that what looks to be the "security" icon (for lack of a better term) however, would come on, along with another icon that looked to be an engine icon (not sure), we would go to start the car and nothing....maybe one click I think....and the car wouldn't shift out of park Now we just had MAJOR issues with this car late last year, had the entire cylinder that's to do with the POWER STEERING replaced (to the tune of $1,000!!), so I don't see how it could be related to that....we also had another major repair around November of last year, at the moment not sure what (we just recently moved, so will have to look up old receipts!) ~ we noticed that if we tried to do the "Remote" start up, as a dire measure, it DID START UP ~ but once we tried putting the ignition in the "run" position, the car turned off ~ of course after trying it a second time (same result), we couldn't use the remote start feature at that point ~ we ended up having to be towed at 11:30 at night from the gas station, back to our house, as we were concerned it probably will need to be checked out by the dealership, rather than just our regular car mechanic/garage
Does anyone know if there might be a "simple" (for someone that knows NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING about working on cars lol!!!) or quick fix for this issue? I tried looking at various "trouble" posts here and didn't see anything similar for probably 4 to 5 of the pages. I'm wondering if it's a fuse, or something like a SENSOR possibly, to do with the Security system? Our HHR has about 77,000 miles on it if that helps.
We can't afford to wait long on figuring out what the problem is, have many upcoming events to go to (and only a much older second car), so hoping for the best!! The thought of another super high repair bill isn't doing wonders, ugh (only have some of the POWERTRAIN warranty coverage left, no other warranty!).
Thanks in advance for any help, info!!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Okay, just found this thread here about re-setting your Security System on a '06 HHR ~ does anyone know if this could possibly be okay to try, will it hurt the car if the security system isn't the only issue? Here's the link!

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...security+light

Thanks so much for any help!!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:10 PM
ecl

Honestly I was thinking it was the security lock out so I would try that method and see what happens. It shouldnt hurt any thing all your doing is leaving the key on for a few minutes at a time. I know my parents expedition has had this come on a few times and they just disconnect then reconnect the battery, not sure if that would help any though.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ecl
Honestly I was thinking it was the security lock out so I would try that method and see what happens. It shouldnt hurt any thing all your doing is leaving the key on for a few minutes at a time. I know my parents expedition has had this come on a few times and they just disconnect then reconnect the battery, not sure if that would help any though.
Thanks ecl, the hubby is trying this method now, hoping for the best!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:47 PM

Well the hubby tried it, and sadly it didn't work! He also said that the security light never did go off at any point. Back to square one
I checked and our key DOES have the little "circle" with the "plus" sign in it, so I was hoping this was the problem, ugh. If anyone has any other thoughts/tips, please let me know, THANKS!!

EDIT: Just found this info on another thread about security lock out issues (see below!), do we need to worry about these items and replace before trying the "relearn" process? I have NO IDEA (!) what any of these items are, any help would be awesome, thanks!!

=================

Found a little more info for you I dont think its the key but you never know
If i was you I would try the first post I made if that doesnt work here is how to reset the key.............

The Tech II computer is the easiest, but there is a 30 minute procedure.
GM makes it take that long to deter thieves.
Not many of them are going to sit in your car for 30 minutes to steal it.
30 Minute Relearn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing the following components:

• The PASS-Key III (PK3) keys

• The BCM

• The PCM
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM

Do you have more than one key? I ran into a situation with a vehicle bought at auction that had two keys. Drove it 500 miles with no problem including shutting it off to get gas. Stopped at a motel for the night and next day, it wouldn't start. we were driving 3 cars and towing one so we put it on the tow rig. Stopped for lunch, tried it and it started right up. Got it back home and it wouldn't start. I read up on the security system and if the wrong key is used (one not coded to the car) it won't start and there will be a 10 minute delay before it will start with a correctly coded key. There were two keys on the ring. I removed the one we had been trying to start it with, waited 15 minutes, tried the other key and it started. There was a 50-50 chance of using the correct key. The delay is to keep thieves from trying a series of keys.

If you only have one key on the ring and it worked before it should work now. If you start the car with the remote, the key has to be inserted and turned on to move it.

On older smart keys, it was possible for the chip to fall out of the key but HHRs have the plastic covered key so that can't happen. I don't know if the body or engine computer reads the key. My local locksmith made an extra key for mine and they had a way to read the code it needed.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by HHRNewbie
Well the hubby tried it, and sadly it didn't work! He also said that the security light never did go off at any point. Back to square one
I checked and our key DOES have the little "circle" with the "plus" sign in it, so I was hoping this was the problem, ugh. If anyone has any other thoughts/tips, please let me know, THANKS!!

EDIT: Just found this info on another thread about security lock out issues (see below!), do we need to worry about these items and replace before trying the "relearn" process? I have NO IDEA (!) what any of these items are, any help would be awesome, thanks!!

=================

Found a little more info for you I dont think its the key but you never know
If i was you I would try the first post I made if that doesnt work here is how to reset the key.............

The Tech II computer is the easiest, but there is a 30 minute procedure.
GM makes it take that long to deter thieves.
Not many of them are going to sit in your car for 30 minutes to steal it.
30 Minute Relearn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing the following components:

• The PASS-Key III (PK3) keys

• The BCM

• The PCM
The keys are the keys.
The BCM is the body control module which is a computer that controls the body functions like the dash, radio, windows etc.
The PCM is the power train control module computer for the engine and transmission.
These are all coded to work with each other. The procedure is to sync them in.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Could the key cylinder in the column be going bad?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 AM

!

Not sure what the problem is still with our HHR, it does display the security light with a "lock" on it, and the cel (check engine light), does anyone know if the security light being on may not really be indicative of why the car isn't able to be started, has anyone else had this experience? Could it be a blown fuse? We'll have to get it towed to the dealership we bought it from I'm guessing (which doesn't have me very happy, their customer service experience has not been satisfactory in the past, ugh), not enough sure our regular mechanic can fix it if it's a GM special situation (which we've had in the past)! I also checked our gas cap to make sure it was properly screwed on, after reading another post that mentioned something about checking your gas cap re: cel (check engine light) coming on, still have the cel
We did try the "relearning" process for both sets of key fobs, that do have the "plus" in the circle on the key (mentioned by another member on another post regarding the re-learning process), but to no avail
Thanks again y'all for any help!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:44 PM

this may be a stupid idea, but it has worked when my hhr has been behaving badly. I never have had the problem you described, but it sounds like the computer has gone stupid. I would say try disconnecting the battery for about an hour, then re-connect it and see what happens.

JUST IN CASE:
The battery is located in the rear cargo well. to access it, first open the rear hatch and remove the plastic piece that is in the bottom. Then there should be a well with another plastic piece with a big plastic nob in the middle. Unscrew this nob and then lift up on the handles on either side of this plastic piece and remove it. then you need to remove the plastic piece that surrounds the door latch (the metal hook that is close to the bumper. If memory serves, this is easily removed by putting your hands underneath it and gently yet firmly lifting up.

Now you should see your battery on the right hand side. You will want to disconnect the negative terminal. That is the one without the red cover on it(the one you want should have a black cable on it) simply unscrew the bolt with a pair of pliers or a wrench and wiggle the connector until it pops off. be sure that this connector does not touch the other connector. also make sure that no metal of the connector is touching the post coming out of the top of the battery. This will mean that the battery isn't disconnected, so this whole procedure will be worth nothing.

after about an hour (probably less), reconnect the battery by wiggling the connector back on to the post in the battery, and tighten the screw. Then reverse this process to put the car back together.

I hope this might help your problem. However, if it happens again, I would recommend having it towed to the best dealer in town to have it fixed.

P.S. DO NOT SHUT THE TAILGATE WHEN THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED. IT HAS AN ELECTRONIC LOCKING MECHANISM THAT WILL NOT OPERATE WHEN THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED (in other words you are locked out.) If you have to shut it or its too late, pop your hood and hook up some jumper cables to another car or a 12 volt battery. This will power your car to unlock the hatch.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Car Won't Start/Security Light Stays On