Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help! ENGINE POWER REDUCED

Old 03-07-2015, 08:52 PM

Exclamation Help! ENGINE POWER REDUCED

So my Chevy's engine decided to shut off while i was driving home today from the store with my 6 month old daughter. Never been so scared in my life.! Lost all traction while going down the hill near the bogs and swerved into the oncoming lane while there was a Ford truck headed right towards me. Thank goodness he had turned in time. Then i had to let all the cars behind me go around because my car was just sitting in the middle of Old Barnstable. When i finally got my car to turn back on the engine was super loud and was shaking the whole front end of my car. I turned it off and then restarted it. Blinkers wont ding when i turn them on but the arrows still flash, hazard lights wont stay on unless i literally hold the button down while driving, engine check light is on, and front dash says ENGINE POWER REDUCED. Does anybody on here know anything about cars? I went to Auto Zone and they told me that i need to replace my throttle position sensor. What does this mean? Troubleshooting P2135 Definition: Throttle position sensor (TPS) 1-2 correlation Explanation: The ECM has detected that TPS 1 and TPS 2 disagree more than 4.5 percent for less than 1 second Probable cause: Poor electrical connection or Failed TPS. My friends husband said it could also be the alternator though. Somebody please help me! I need to get the right thing fixed the fist time and done as soon as possible. I'm still currently on maternity leave and don't have much money to spend. And now I'm terrified to drive anywhere with my baby.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

So, your profile says you have a Cobalt. If so, then why are you asking for help on the HHR forum ?

Fwiw. My advice is take it to a reputable mechanic or repair shop.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 PM
Technical Moderator

What did the baby, the Ford truck and the maternity leave have to do with the malfunction?

Sorry, late night Saturday. That's all I understood from the wall of words. Sounds kind of like a dirty joke.

Last edited by donbrew; 03-08-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:58 AM
Deceased

Hmmm...Well Denise, we might be able to give you some tips/ideas, but if you are describing issues with a Cobalt as George has surmised, then click the link below for our Sister Forum dealng with Cobalts.

Cobalt - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

The HHR and Cobalt are cousins under the skin, both are built on GM's "Delta Platform", but there are enough material differences to warrant seperate forums.

Cobalt folks speak fluent "Cobaltese", we speak "HHRlish", and some things like trouble codes don't translate directly between to vehicle families.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:07 AM
Platinum Member

x2 what they have all said already. Take it to a shop, as if you try and get to the root of the matter with descriptions as provided, you will just play 20 questions and never get it resolved. Best to pay a few $'s and get it fixed quick.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Welcome , Denise.
By your description the loud engine could indicate a broken flex pipe, I have seen se all auto shops along Rte 28 and would suggest you take it to a repair shop for assistance
The hazard flashers are designed to only work while the car is in park.
Your friend's husband maybe on to something , ask to have the battery checked at AutoZone they will do it for free.
And congratulations for your baby, precious cargo, I understand your concerns.
And as for P2135 this is a result of the throttle pedal and the throttle body not corresponding, this could be a loose wire at either end or a dirty throttle body butterfly plate, I simply Googled it!

Take care and let us know you things turn out!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:22 AM

Dirty throttle plate would be the 1st thing I would clean. check for loose wire connectors while there.

same thing happened to me - scary is right!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:04 AM

From the information that "Denise" posted, this sounds like a poor attempt at humor.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Another one and done!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

She actually came back the next day and I would assume read the responses.
Just didn't bother with a followup post.

Yeah, looks like another One and Done.
We seem to get a lot of those.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! ENGINE POWER REDUCED