Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006 HHR no crank, no start, no communication error

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:42 PM

2006 HHR no crank, no start, no communication error

My gf's 2006 hhr went through some deep water. That's how this story begins. Immediately after the traction control light and abs light came on. Everything Mechanically worked fine, for about a week and a half. The TC and ABS lights never went away. One afternoon i started the car (which went fine) and the gauges were bouncing all over the place. I shut it down hoping to correct the problem. Started back up just like normal, gauges still behaving erratically. I drove off and didn't get a hundred yards before the engine died. Unable to start again. The DIC displayed power steering and low fuel. I had just filled it with gas the night before. The CEL also came on.
I then ran up to autozone and rented a scanner which could not read anything. "Communication error" displayed on the screen. I proceeded to check all fuses, and relays. The only bad fuse was for the cigarette lighter which happens to be for the obdll as well. Replaced and still nothing on the scan tool. I happened to be able to swap another ecu from an hhr just hoping this was the issue. No difference. I checked the scan tool connection with a multimeter and the only thing that was wrong was pin 14 (bus low?) Read 8 ohms. It's supposed to be between 50 and 70. I'm unsure of where to go from here. Please help!!!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 PM

Sometimes the OBDII connection in my '06 will not communicate with my code reader.

I went to a junk yard and cut another out of another '06 planning to solder it in my car but it started working again all on its own. I still have the pigtail in the garage for in case I need it some day.

When our '98 LHS went through deep water a few years ago I had pretty much all the symptoms your car exhibits now.

I was able to fix a lot of that with a new ECU but the traction control and ABS were way beyond my ability to fix. I took it to several authorized Chrysler dealerships and authorized repair places along with a few 'shade tree' smaller shops.

NO one was able to help me so I boned the car. Your '06 is about the same age is my '98 was when I ditched it. There are probably more shops around with more experience now than there was then so you might be able to get it fixed for less money.

I wish you well.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Technical Moderator

That is exactly why its illegal to sell a "flood" car!
Water and electrical systems do not mix. The only repair is to disassemble and inspect every piece of wiring replace what is bad then pray because you will have to do it again.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 PM

How deep of water did the car get into? Did the inside of the car get wet?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:09 PM

Well that's a lot of positive feedback. It wasn't in a flood. It got run through a 2 foot puddle for about 10 to 15 feet. The inside of the car did not get wet at all.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure what you are looking for - with the problem you have there is no simple easy answer. Donbrew's suggestion about starting to take all the electrical connections apart that were flooded and inspect them for problems was a start. and hitting all the connections with WD40 and contact cleaner might help.

If the "puddle' was two feet deep that can cause horrendous damage, and pinpointing the exact point(s) of failure is impossible without a hands-on inspection.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:55 PM

First thing check the battery voltage. Load test it if possible. Low battery voltage can make the modules go nuts.

Then I would start by doing some visual inspections.

Look at all the grounds around the trans and around the core support.

Inspect the under hood fuse box make sure all connection are plug in a tight

Clean a inspect the battery connection at the under hook fuse box. They are known to get loose over time and a good dousing of water could have made the connection worse.

I would not fully trust the autozone scan tool. Some of the code readers won't work on some systems.

Report back with your findings and we will go from there.

One more thing disconnect the battery for a few minutes. You mentioned that you swapped PCM's. A PCM installed onto your car from another will set module mismatch codes.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Technical Moderator

Take a yard stick out to your HHR and see exactly how high in the engine bay 2 feet is. Then allow for 2 more feet for splashing.

Yes, the car was "flooded". Maybe you can make an insurance claim?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM

Not sure why my messages have not gone through.

Battery voltage tests good. Connections look good. Will check around tranny tonight. I have unplugged the battery many times since trying to swap the brains. I Apap took this thing to the dealership (going against everything my fix it self stands for) and their computer couldn't connect. They told me probably 8 hours to diagnose the problem. Which i can not afford. Although i feel they were just trying to get rid of me because they really didn't want to touch it. Any and all help is welcome. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM

Anybody know where to find a wiring diagram for the can bus low? I feel like that has everything to do with the problem.

Quick Reply: 2006 HHR no crank, no start, no communication error