Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > help power steering problem
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #1

Member #: 55316
Check out my gallery 
Question help power steering problem

like the tittle says power steering message keeps on popping up on the cluster and the steering wheel gets hard any one has experienced this before... ohh and by the way i checked my fuse box noticed my fuse was blow on the power steering changed it and it still constanly keeps on doing it
mike321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

Member #: 757
Check out my gallery 
You might want to read a few of the numerous posts about power steering problems - ie: the one just a couple below your post, as well as the one in the How To forum on how to replace the motor.

The search engine IS your friend. :)
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
Hate to tell ya Mike, but more than likely you have a power steering motor that's gone bad on you.

Give this thread a read, and also make sure to read the thread linked in the first post, tons of info for you.

Power Steering Motor Replacement w/Pics

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #4

Member #: 71517
Check out my gallery 
Thumbs up Thank you!

My power steering started doing the old on again off again a couple of weeks back. I was driving like some 90 year old woman, swinging way out on my turns, fearful I would pinch something and cause that darned message to start flashing. THEN, I found this forum. And it even had "pitchurs" on how to fix the dang thing! Called up Jupiter Chevrolet here in Dallas this morning, they had 3 in stock, $101 bucks. Picked it up at lunch time and heading out to install it right now. Oh yeah, and I am a chick, so this will be fun for me. I LOVE messing around with engines and stuff Thanks for all the info you Chevy HHR Forum Folks!
texbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

Check out my gallery 
Hey, good on you texbucky!!!!!

Get back to us when you can, and let us know how it went for you.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

Member #: 71517
Check out my gallery 
Done and DONE!

Whooo hoooo! Got the new power steering motor installed. Took me about 45 minutes to do it. I did get a little bit of help from a coworker who is our master mechanic. I made him just "stand by" and give me any direction he thought I needed. I had copied the pics of the awesome install on the other power steering thread here in the forum, I believe Stryker posted those, not 110% sure tho. BUT, it is in. No real problems for me except when I went to put the knee panel back on under the steering column, I was having issues getting the 7mm bolts to go back in. Matt had to reach in and hold it up tight then they finally "caught" and went back in no problemo.

One thing Matt noticed, and maybe it is something to ponder or not, but you know how there is the cable tie that holds the wire where it connects with the blue connector? How it holds the wire on the front side, towards the drivers knees and then it has a really bad kink in the end of it, well, when I put this in, Matt had me put it in and bring the wire around behind it, so no kink at the connector. Whether that kink was an issue with my motor cutting off and on, who knows. Just something I wanted to throw out there for you technomeister folks.

Thanks to all you HHR dudes and dudettes out there who posted info on your problems and how you diagnosed them, and then the solutions. Saved me a bunload of green! Now I am thinking I want to start to tackle my "clunk" problem. You know, that other problem that every HHR owner seems to get at some time or another. :P

Last edited by texbucky; 03-05-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
texbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Member #: 5120
Check out my gallery 
Good job and welcome to the site
Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
Cool beans!

Glad we could be of assistance!

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #9

Check out my gallery 
Well done!!! sounds like the master mechanic should get a tall cool brown one or two as a reward for standing by. :)
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 PM

submit to reddit