Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR 2006: Unlocking driver's side door with key sets off alarm

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by tgp1994
Unfortunately, the method of locking the doors with the power lock, unlocking the driver's door manually, then, stepping out and locking it with the key did not seem work, the alarm still went off. I haven't been able to solder my keyfob yet, I'm going to try to arrange with a friend to get that done next week.

Thanks for checking in!

Once the key is out of the ignition and you use the power lock switch inside the car then you are activating the alarm system. Since it has a 30 sec or so delay you have enough time to unlock the door, get out and shut the door without setting the alarm off.

Try setting your door locks in the DIC to drivers only when turning off the car. This will allow you to already have all the other locks locked when you shut the car off. Then all you have to do is get out, shut your door, and lock it with the key.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM

Or just take 30 seconds and solder that fob.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
Try setting your door locks in the DIC to drivers only when turning off the car. This will allow you to already have all the other locks locked when you shut the car off. Then all you have to do is get out, shut your door, and lock it with the key.
That sounds promising. Is the step process for doing this outlined in the manual?

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
Or just take 30 seconds and solder that fob.
I think that'll be the final solution.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 AM

That sounds promising. Is the step process for doing this outlined in the manual?
Yes it is in the manual.

I think that'll be the final solution.

It is what I did on mine on my 3rd day of ownership. Hasn't failed since...only been 1.5 months lol.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know,

I just finished soldering the battery holder onto the keyfob. It's amazing how solder can go from a solid, to liquid, then back to something stronger than most glues! I think the range is even improved, too...

Thanks again, everyone.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
@tgp1994, how did things go with using the key to lock and unlock your doors on your HHR? Were you able to get your soldering job done for your fob?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Michelle, Really I am not trying to be a "D&^K" here, but you only seem to answer a question with a question, all the time. Even with something as simple as this, which Chevy should have a database in which this sort of information is kept, via your work-station..... Yet you never have answers for simple questions...... Chevy would be better served with TECH Support for us, instead of generic "coddling" of it customers, by a department that has little to no knowledge of our platform. I'm not saying your not doing your job, its just not the "job" description we need from Chevy, when questions arise. Most of us will go to the dealer for problems, we just want a better picture of the problem before we tackle it. Comments like...."did the other OP's suggestions help?" doesn't help and lowers my confidence in Chevy, since you work for them and should be in the know. A better response would have been," let me see what I can find out about your issue and see if I can point you in the right direction"--- SUGGESTIONS, not QUESTIONS. Also, asking for VIN#'s really? WHY?

Michelle, again don't take this the wrong way, but tell CHEVY we want someone who is authorized to help, not someone with a box of band-aids, when we need stiches.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Now to answer the OP's question....... Since Chevy can't.

Unlock all doors, then lock the driver's side door manually with the key. This tells the security system that the key itself is in control. This happened to me several times a few years ago, when the FOBs went bad.....annoying!

you can also check the DIC, and change the security setting that way.... the procedures are listed in the manual under DIC control,security
Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks foolmoon,

What seemed to work for me was locking all of the doors with the power lock, pulling up the driver's lock, then getting out and locking the door with my key. I'm not sure if that's pretty much what you just said, but thank you for the suggestion. I'm just glad my fob is working again.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Here's a link to a description of how to resolder the broken battery contacts - hope it helps: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/keyfob-cold-solder-repair-22641/
I finally got around to resoldering the key fob and it worked for a day, unti I dropped it this morning and now it doesn't work again. Ugh. Also, opening by key sometimes does not work as the door does not want to unlock and I feel like if I turn any harder the key will snap off in the lock. I think my HHR door locks are possessed.

I've had my Avalanche 10 years and the key fobs both work fine still - never even replaced the batteries.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks foolmoon,

What seemed to work for me was locking all of the doors with the power lock, pulling up the driver's lock, then getting out and locking the door with my key. I'm not sure if that's pretty much what you just said, but thank you for the suggestion. I'm just glad my fob is working again.

If you set your unlock setting in the DIC to driver I think it is, the car will auto unlock ONLY the drivers door upon removing the key from the ignition. Then you just get out and lock the drivers door with the key. It is that simple to prevent the alarm from going off when using the key.

Quick Reply: HHR 2006: Unlocking driver's side door with key sets off alarm