Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR Freezing up :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by skyline26
ya im in brampton/mississauga and i have an 08 also. always parked outside...no matter what temperature of precipitation mine opens no problem..but then again i use Krown every year also. Im at work tonight so if I get a chance ill go take a look at my doors for this insulation your talking about because i dont think mine is exposed but ill take a look..im not too sure now about the drainage holes on the door, might be the plastic tube at the hinge that might be the drainage - cant remember now
Hi..How can Krown help with this problem..does it make the top of the running board too slippery for ice to collect?? I thought that was only for undercarriage and under body..inside doors etc. I did have the paint guard and the perma plate rustguard put n when I purchased. I asked about the winter spray..they said it would void the warrant..for the permaplate rust guard(which I am now thinking was a waste anyway). Do you have any kind of holes for drainage in your running board by the door for drainage?? Just curious if perhaps they forgot something on mine..
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

i think it just doesnt alow water to build up...dont know about these "paint protection" things but Ive always used Krown and never had a problem with rust or freezing on any vehicles ive had..ill take a look for these drainage holes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Perhaps a low cost car port, places like Harbor Frieight have low cost ones..
Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 AM

unfortunately..can't do a car port, no room or cash for it. There has to be some fix for this??? If anyone has checked to see (any year or model) if there are drainage holes in the running board that drains this out..let me know. I will have someone put them in mine. Gotta do something. If not this time next year...doors will be in need and there will be no warranty left to fix it...
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Ohh..I know what you are referring to now..water collects at the BOTTOM of the fwd door edge and dams up at the side skirt where it kicks up.....yeah..been there! So have others..no real fix..water comes in thru the fender crack because theres a door seal that runs down into the opening of the back of the fender.Umm..other then cutting a hole into the top of the running board, but then you would get splash from driving,,theres not a real fix unless you get creative. Have to figure a way to funnel the water away from this area..throw a towel over that area at night..
Old 03-16-2013, 04:54 PM

No real fix for that, but these tips can help:

- Clear any snow from the roof & windshield as soon as possible after a snowfall, especially when temps are around the freezing point.
- Don't park with the front directly in the sun if there's snow in the forecast.
- Carry a wooden stick or snow brush thin enough so that can it be used to poke at and clear ice accumulation between the fender and the front door.

I've been doing this for 6 winters and never had a bent door; I've had awful creaking sounds when opening my door, but never any damage. It something to watch for, but it can be prevented for the most part; basically, don't let any water get down there in the winter.

Yves
Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 PM

Thanks...guess I will need to be diligent clearing the snow before it freezes up. The weather stripping around the door seems to end above that spot also I wonder if I can extend or replace it with a longer piece to try and steer away what is coming from there.

So darn frustrated...living in this climate...and being sold a car that doesn't work well in the snow..keep any ideas coming..!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 AM

Hmm? I must be at least as far north as you are, Minnesota and haven't had this problem.
At least no worse than any other vehicle. Good ice storm they all freeze shut.

If you don't have remote start, you have to get one open then let it warm it up. I wouldn't tug on things until they bend.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM

Unfortunately first time it got damaged we didn't realize it was ice built up because you don't see it..door seems to open ok...then gets "stopped up" once door is opened about 6", Been very cautious ever since...but ..would love to find a fix for it though(the settling of water)Do you have any drainage holes in your running board in that area?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Hmm? I must be at least as far north as you are, Minnesota and haven't had this problem.
At least no worse than any other vehicle. Good ice storm they all freeze shut.
We're not talking about ice building on and around the door frame. We're talking about water runoff from the roof & windshield that flows & freezes in between the front fender and the door, creating an ice dam that gets crunched by the front bottom part of the door when it opens.

Originally Posted by mevans
Unfortunately first time it got damaged we didn't realize it was ice built up because you don't see it..door seems to open ok...then gets "stopped up" once door is opened about 6", Been very cautious ever since...but ..would love to find a fix for it though(the settling of water)Do you have any drainage holes in your running board in that area?
Draining holes wouldn't help much in there, water has plenty of time to freeze before it gets to the bottom and it would block the holes in no time. I'm not sure that water should even be flowing there to begin with; maybe it does because some other channel gets blocked. If it's the case, then your 'fix' is to keep that channel open.
I've been dealing with it for a few years, I expect it because I know it happens, so I keep an eye on it and I usually have to knock down the ice with my snow brush a couple of times a year. If it gets too bad, I pick a shopping center with a heated garage to go shopping for a few hours; it's all gone when I get back to the car.

Yves

Quick Reply: HHR Freezing up :(