Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

hhr intermediate steering shaft warning

Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 AM

hhr intermediate steering shaft warning

So 1 week ago I was making a right turn and out of nowhere my steering started clicking/clunking/scratching noise when I turned the wheel. I tracked the problem down to the intermediate steering shaft. I called my dealer about the problem and since I was off warranty it was going to be $468 for the part and another $300 to install. I went online and found genuine GM part for $136. I decided to call the scrap yard to see what I could find and I got a used shaft for $50. I took the used part off the scrap car and it was in perfect condition.

So now to the warning:
I went to my car did all the usual preparations involved in removing the steering shaft. I undid the 2 bolts and when it came time to collapse the shaft to remove it from the car it wouldn't collapse. I used a rubber mallet to try to try to losen it..no go..
I had to take a 600lb ratchet strap and compress it with the strap and even then it was a heck of a time to get it to collapse just enough to remove. I replaced the shaft with the new one and even though I had everything lined up and the steering wheel secured so it wouldn't move I still had to adjust the wheel so it was straight. . But it doesn't make noise anymore..

Out of curiosity when I got the shaft removed from the car I use a regular hammer to hit the shaft to see if I could get it to collapse...I had to hit it will ALL my power to get it to collapse. Then after I finally got it all the way down it seemed to losen up and function properly.

The warning comes because in an accident that shaft is supposed to collapse so you don't suffer major internal Injuries should you come into contact with it...

So my advice is when you do your oil change get under your dash and remove the shaft from the steering column side and give the little shock a few pumps to make sure its in working order...no need to remove it from under the car..
Old 04-21-2015, 10:58 AM

Just curious... What year is your HHR and how many miles on it?

Silverfox
Old 04-21-2015, 12:18 PM

It's 2007 with 190,000 km. I can understand the u joint wearing out nut the shaft seizing is not acceptable. .
Old 04-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Banned

Recall??????

GM recalls 1.5M vehicles for power steering defect | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Old 04-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Administrator

No recall the seized shaft is a problem across a variety of GM products. I replaced mine last July
Instead of paying the dealers high price , I got mine from a GM dealer on EBay $168.00
To get the shaft out I marked the cut in the yoke to the splined shaft, loosened up the steering column to make room to slide the yoke off.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:34 AM

been hitting my 07 120k cobalts with grease/pb/whatever the hell I have around for the last several months once a week since it seized for the first time. It usuallys goes for like 2 weeks, then starts to bind again. Spray it, and its good for another couple weeks. Just picked up new replacement for a cobalt forum member for $40 after he sold his car! Just need time to get it in.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 AM

Great information!

A big thank you to everybody!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:29 AM

obviously the road salt has a lot to do with the issue
Old 04-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Administrator

No the slider is under the dash not out under the car in the salt spray! I slide my new one open and slathered on some white lithium grease, so far a year later no rattle or seizing, I just lubed it on Thursday
Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
No the slider is under the dash not out under the car in the salt spray! I slide my new one open and slathered on some white lithium grease, so far a year later no rattle or seizing, I just lubed it on Thursday
Just wondering can you get some pics of it and we're you open it .. Mine rattle a little bit too .. Can you use hi temp grease?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hhr intermediate steering shaft warning