Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Question about Key FOB and New Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Question about Key FOB and New Locks?

Hello, i'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but i have some questions about a 2008 HHR and the remote start FOB.

Quick rundown my car keys were stolen from me last night, along w/ the key FOB.

If i purchase a new key FOB, and reprogram it, will the the old FOB become disabled?

Has anyone had any experience getting this model re-keyed? I've spent the majority of my morning calling locksmiths, and the average quote i'm getting is upwards to 600 or 700, to get the door re-keyed and the ignition re-keyed. I'm holding out contacting the dealership as the car's warranty expired earlier this year. I'm trying to get the locks changed because my id was also stolen so they know where i live and i don't want the car to get stolen, as i currently don't have a car alarm neither.

Also one last question, i have a spare key, and when you open the car w/out the FOB, the car usually makes an alarm sound, i went to open the car w/ just the key a few minutes ago and the alarm didn't go off, could they have drove by and disabled it, is the alarm sound that easily disabled?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, i'm just paranoid and i've been calling around trying to get opinions on the matter, i figured i would come here and try to get some opinions.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:27 PM

It might be covered under the comprehensive portion of your car insurance. You might want to check and see then check your deductible.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Call your Chevy dealer, they have the scan tool to get your fob's coded, and the car rekeyed
Old 08-24-2015, 06:25 PM
Technical Moderator

Maybe the GM tech will be able to kill the old fob. Depends if the tech knows what he's doing.

The alarm goes off if you LOCK with fob, and then UNLOCK with key.

Have you already had the ignition recall done?

The rekeying involves the ignition cylinder and the drivers door cylinder, and the anti theft chip in the steering column. I don't see it costing more than $200 (just a guess) since its only 2 cylinders.

I think, but not sure, the chip can be reprogrammed.

Check with both your car insurance and homeowner/renter insurance (if you have it).
Old 08-24-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Maybe the GM tech will be able to kill the old fob. Depends if the tech knows what he's doing.

The alarm goes off if you LOCK with fob, and then UNLOCK with key.

Have you already had the ignition recall done?

The rekeying involves the ignition cylinder and the drivers door cylinder, and the anti theft chip in the steering column. I don't see it costing more than $200 (just a guess) since its only 2 cylinders.

I think, but not sure, the chip can be reprogrammed.

Check with both your car insurance and homeowner/renter insurance (if you have it).
Thank you for clarifying that part for me.

And no i haven't gotten the ignition recall done.

I've been calling 24/7 locksmiths to come re-key the car, Chevy said they wouldn't be able to get to the car until Wed. These locksmiths keep quoting me at 200 just to re-key the door and another 2 something to re-key the ignition. As i stated earlier i don't have an alarm and i would hate to wake up with the car stolen as the thieves not only have my keys but also my address. So i was need of quick solution to get the locks replaced.

Thank you for all the replies.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Have you thought of disconnecting the battery or pulling a fuse when not in use? To disable the car, doubt if the thieves would spend time looking for the no start problem.
Just a thought.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:27 PM

The police detective that is investigating my case, suggested that to me. Id probably mess something up lol. Thank you for the response.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Technical Moderator

Why would you call a 24/7 locksmith? They charge a lot extra for being "on call", you could just go to any locksmith shop. Or, any GM shop (notice not Chevy shop), I am sure there are several in Texas you could try more than one.

The reason I asked about the recall is that it is a NEW IGNITION CYLINDER made to your registered VIN. If you went and had your car re-keyed, whoever did it might know how to update the VIN key code, and then you go have the recall done and you end up with a key that won't work properly.

And you may be able to kill 2 birds, and just pay for the door lock. You know, like ask them to give you a new key code and a new door cylinder while they are replacing the ignition cylinder anyway (for free). In that case you would not need to worry about the anti-theft chip, come to think, you wouldn't really need to worry about the chip anyway with new cylinders.

If you need an Owners Manual follow the link in my sig.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:07 PM

I agree go for the key cyl recall that will a least get you half way there. I'm sure they will charge you to change out the door lock but I'm sure it won't be hundreds of dollars like the quotes you have so far.

Anytime the key fobs a reprogrammed all other key fobs will automatically be cleared. That's why you have to have both your key fobs at the dealer when they reprogram key fobs.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
I agree go for the key cyl recall that will a least get you half way there. I'm sure they will charge you to change out the door lock but I'm sure it won't be hundreds of dollars like the quotes you have so far.

Anytime the key fobs a reprogrammed all other key fobs will automatically be cleared. That's why you have to have both your key fobs at the dealer when they reprogram key fobs.
Thank you for the help. In response to your last comment, i was reading other forums on here, if i go purchase the dorman key fob replacement and reprogram it myself, would my old fob no longer work? I have set up to get the car rekyed Thursday, until then i was thinking if i get a replacement fob from autozone, it could just deter the thief if they were to just drive by the car and try to open the car w/ the stolen fob.

Quick Reply: Question about Key FOB and New Locks?