Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

BOOST problems

Old 09-17-2019, 08:30 AM

BOOST problems

I've got a 2008 HHR SS. Haven't had the car long but first noticed some boost issues. At times will boost 10 lbs. (Never higher) and stay there throughout shifting and sometimes will start at 10 and drop as I keep a foot on it and go through the gears. As it seems to run up to 10 lbs. And stay or drop it will stop boosting at 10 and only boost to 3 every time after it hits the 10 spot through one shift session. Consistently has the same issue though and has the 0299 code I believe(low boost I believe)? Thought abought adhusting the wastegate up to 17lbs. And see if it held there after that and just maybe needed an adjustment but kinda weird it just wouldnt bosst at 10 and just stay around there but is furthermore falling on its face at 3 lbs as well
Old 09-17-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Do you mean code P0299, please note causes and possible solutions

https://www.obd-codes.com/P0299
Thank you for info you've relayed. Before I jump into it, I am wanting to get a lot of output on possibly the same problems to see where majority of problems are. Thank you again
Old 09-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Your first checks would be for a vaccum/boost leak, and the bypass valve and solenoid.
Yea thank you. Before I turned the boost up I wanted some good input such as this because of the boost going from 10lds seemingly the first time I take off after starting it, to the drop to 3 lbs. Every other acceleration beyond the first that it could be more because of the fluctuation. I have thought of a bosst leak. I kinda sorta rooted out the vacuum leak due to the gauge staying pretty solid from vacuum to boost but thinking maybe a boost leak is possible. I'm old school as far as mechanical ability. A very good diesel and gas engine mechanical but alittle behind when a computer is backing up every component function. Could I simply spray some ether around all joints and the engine would race anywhere I have a leak? Are thwre common areas that leak vacuum/boost? Whats the best way to check the bypass and solenoid? I suppose checking continuity somehow? Thanks so much for your time and help.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
1st off, don't go trying to "adjust" the wastegate. They are factory preset and don't need to be adjusted unless their is a problem with the adjustment nut coming lose or the wastegate itself is broken (doubtful). Start trying to adjust a fix into it ain't gonna work and you'll probably make it worse.

Do you have the GMTU (GM Turbo Upgrade) ? Automatic trans ? If yes to these, then you may have a wiring rub at the lower Tmap sensor. It's a known problem that happened with some of the earlier GMTU kits because they were a cut and splice wiring install at that sensor.
If you don't have the GMTU, a boost leak would be my guess also. Could do a pressure test on the system. Somewhere on this site is a How To for the do it yourself folks.
Also. The intercooler has plastic end tanks. Check that area for hairline cracks.
Ok. Thanks for tour help. Most wastegate have an adjustment on the actuator such as this. In some cases such as this the bosst can be adjusted although it will cut out where its set. It seems these are around 16-18lbs. where 7 seems to be the manic # from factory. Ive had alot of luck on alot of engine by adjusting boost or turning up depending on settings and fail delivery. There is some wear seemingly when I pulled the air tube off a collextion of oil was a little accessive telling me about the seals or wear more or less. By asking on here is hopefully going to tell where to go for im sure there have been many identical cases. This is an auction car in very good condition. Its possible the previous owner was told the turbo was going bad or something to that degree. I do know by adjusting the actuator rod will change the resulet and tell me more but other ideas such as a boost leak have come to mind and I don't wanna mask a problem therefore learning a bunch of avenues about this particular motor help and then the few that have the exact same issue to narrow the margin. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
That’s what I pointed out.
Thanks. Cool setup pretty simple. Couldnt you just use ether(starting fluid) and spray at every joint with car running and if the motor changes tone(usually winds up a tad) then there is your leak? Ive always had good luck checking all forced induction systems like that. Would that work? I have read a bot about what the car shpuld boost from the factory but no one has actually told me. It seems like from all of the numbers I hear 17lbs. Is what it should be reading under wide open throttle pretty consistently. May spoke a tad higjer on occasion but should stay about 17. Btw mine is a 5 speed. Thanks for all your help
Old 09-24-2019, 01:53 PM

BOOST Issues

Postes last week and for some good feedback but in just buying the car and actually driving it a bit more more can go into more detail and summarize the symptoms easier and probably pinpoint thw problem with many related iasues in here. Had states that my car is an 08 SS manual and will max out the boost at ten lbs. And will only boost that kuchbthrpugh the first couple of shifts and then taking off any othwr time will boost no higher than three pounds until the car is tuened off and will do thw same or similar cycle again but as we'll as this issue will shifting the car and it staying in boost, about thw rime I shift to 3rd gear of a little bit into 3rd, I lose all boost foe as the guage drops to zero even while keeping the car at wide open throttle and shifting the last few years out. Hoping someone has had thw same issue or very similar to be able to easily diagnose thw issue. I'm sure the problems are all tied into one single component fault just unsure exactly at the moment what it would be. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-24-2019, 02:23 PM
Administrator

One thread is good
Old 09-24-2019, 04:30 PM

So many typos, so little time. That post is near unreadable.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Talk to text, really never perfected, like auto correct a PITA
Old 10-10-2019, 08:54 AM

Boost problems

I have a 2008 HHR SS and am having the strangest boost issue I'm trying to pinpoint that hopefully someone has had the same or may know whats going on. When I take off hard at full throttle and shift to second my first problem is that my boost is only going up to 10lbs. The second problem is, it may stay at 10lbs for maybe halfway through 2nd and drop directly to 0
Looses all boost. Anytime after taking off after that it may only boost to 3lbs. And fall off in approx. The same amount of time and baby to 0(no boost at all)
Would really love some input on this issue. Thanks

Last edited by Oldblue; 10-10-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Spelling errors corrected

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BOOST problems