Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Howling/Grinding/Clunk/Crunch/Squeak/Squeal Noise thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:06 AM

I am glad you made this post as I have been having a strange noise and wondered how to get help with a "noise" on the internet. I am pretty sure your post here is pointing me in the way of the first or second issue, but figured I would ask anyway to see if there is any agreement. The noise I experience comes from the front of vehicle, seems to come from right front. It is a noise I can best describe as maybe worn bearing with not enough grease? Only happens first thing as once she warms up the noise goes away, and only hear it while turning. Mechanically speaking the wheel hub seems to make more sense, but I dont hear it when driving straight. Also wondering if anything else related to steering could cause such a "noise"?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:31 AM
Administrator

In my experience, the hub is the source of the noise.
There are times a brake pad can be persnickety and rub the rotor, but that is usually persistent.

Please let us know what your outcome is.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:56 PM

chirping noise?

I have a "chirping?" noise on my 08 SS and for the life of me I cannot find any video on the Internet of a car making this noise. It is rpm dependent and the 2 scenarios when I can hear it is when the car is cold and I'm first driving (it becomes much quieter within a minute of driving) or when I'm cruising in 3rd or 4th at a slower speed.

Here are 2 videos, you gotta turn the volume up because they are tough to hear.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:47 PM

Can't hear it in either video. But #15 in the OP. Serpentine Belt, or one of the devices that it turns(tensioner, alternator, AC compressor).
Old 12-28-2023, 07:37 AM
Administrator

X2 what RJ suggests
Old 12-28-2023, 07:43 AM
Technical Moderator

Has anyone looked at the front brake pads? Chirping can be the brake wear indicators.
Old 12-28-2023, 10:56 AM
Administrator

But brake pads wouldn’t be rpm dependent
Old 12-28-2023, 02:44 PM
Technical Moderator

The faster you are moving the faster (higher pitch) the chirping.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Then the front pads need to be visually inspected !
Old 12-29-2023, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
It seems at least a few times an hour(I may be exaggerating) someone on the forum has a noise to be diagnosed

so I had some free time to make a list and some fixes for the "noises"
PLEASE ADD YOUR OWN IF I MISSED ANY COMMON NOISES

1-Wheel bearing/hub-Noise will be consistent with rotation of the wheel, and be more noticeable when the wheel speed is faster:how to- https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-front-hub-replacement-38946/

2-Strut bearing- Will grind, or vibrate with the steering wheel turning. Louder when stopped

3-Rotors-warped rotors will make a noise with rotation/brake pedal pressure and usually cause the steering wheel to shimmy. Warn rotors can also make a grinding noise with rotation.

4-Brake pads- Can Squeal if they are low enough for wear indicators to touch the rotor. Some pads (aftermarket) are not equipped with indicators, and can grind when the pad is completely worn. front brake how to: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-replace-rotors-pads-06-hhr-15226/

5-Brake shoes-Can grind when they get low. Brake shoes wear much slower than front brakes and can last upwards of 100,000 miles

6-A frame bushing- Common “clunk” noise heard over bumps

7-Control arm bushing- Common “clunk” noise heard over bumps

8-sway bar linkage- Common “clunk” noise heard over bumps

9-struts/shocks (more of a crunch/squeak) - Struts can go bad in more than one way. The bearing can wear out (see number 2) and the strut itself can wear. Oil on the strut, and body roll (more than normal) can be signs of worn struts. Tires can wear wrong if struts are worn also. Shocks can do many of the same things listed, plus bottoming out.

10-Worn motor/trans mounts- can make a “clunk” noise when beginning to accelerate, with the movement of the engine.

11-Tires-Unbalanced tires can make a thumping or a wobble noise when moving, louder at higher speeds. Tires can also make noise when not filled to proper PSI. Tires making noise can also be a sign of something in the suspension, going bad, and wearing the tires unusually.

12-Exhaust- Manifolds, flex pipes, and rotted pipes in the exhaust can create a hissing sound under acceleration, or even at idle if bad enough.

13-CV joint- Can “click” when the car is put into gear when it is going bad. Can make a click/clunk when turning and accelerating

14-Ball Joint-Can make a clunk noise when worn.

15-Serpentine belt- can squeal when worn or when it’s not under enough tension.

It is very hard to diagnose noises over the internet, some are easier than others to locate

I think # 6,7, & 8 are what I should check...

Out driving to my Dentist today, I noticed a light knock / clunk sound driving over a bit of slightly un-even pavement. Only Left front side from suspension it feels like.

I have heard this lightly before, but kinda forgot about it.. Seems I best look into this.

Quick Reply: Howling/Grinding/Clunk/Crunch/Squeak/Squeal Noise thread