Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Humming Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:30 AM

Humming Noise

Hi everyone. New to the forum. I have been looking around for answers but it seems as if the issues of others doesn't fully match those of mine.

The humming noise I am experiencing appeared as I was on the highway this morning from the front end of the car. It was rather low in volume but got louder as my drive continued. I parked the car in my job's parking garage and the humming was still there after I parked. Odd thing, when I pulled in though, it went away for a brief moment then returned. Any ideas of what could be going would be great. I may not be able to take it anywhere until Tuesday.

It's a 2006 HHR. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Technical Moderator

If only when moving; hub.

If also while not moving; flex pipe.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Technical Moderator

But it could be a plastic bag stuck under the car or a Dr. Pepper cap stuck in the alternator.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:55 AM

Excuse my ignorance but it appears the bag or cap could be easily fixed, right?

But yes it's doing it while I am not moving as well. I put it in park and it was still there. I'm hoping I can still drive it just fine until Tuesday.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Technical Moderator

I added those possibilities because members have led wild goose chases and those ended up being the solution.

You probably have a cracked flex pipe. Type "flex pipe" into the SEARCH box at the top of every forum page for information.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:46 PM

Odd thing is though I just checked to see where that sound is coming from as I called a local mechanic. I pinpointed the humming sound to the passenger side of the engine where the alternator and belt is. So I guess it's something there in that area. Also noticed a smell similar to electrical wires burning or something along those lines.

Still in a bind because of course they give you the "come in and we'll check it out" line but they are closed when I begin and end my shift. So still looking to shoot for Tuesday if it makes it that far.

I will look through the flex pipe threads. See if there is anything similar to my issue.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Have you checked the belt itself for cracks, chunks missing etc.?
Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Have you checked the belt itself for cracks, chunks missing etc.?
Indeed it does. I actually ran it for about a half hour and the red battery (charge system?) light turned on for about five seconds the first time then a few minutes later turned on again but was literally a second or two and never turned back on. However buzzing/humming remained.

To be specific I noticed cracks.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Then don't you think you might have found the problem?

ie: the belt or the tensioner.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Then don't you think you might have found the problem?

ie: the belt or the tensioner.
Not sure to be honest. I've tried looking at YouTube videos and the sounds I hear are nowhere near what I have found online. Plus, why would the belt give off my battery warning indicator?

I'm sorry for my stupidity, but that's why I came here, for some assistance or merely for someone to steer me in the right direction. I'm just not understanding how cracks in the belt would trigger that light. I would have assumed it was the alternator. (Apologies If I'm coming across a certain way. Just frustrated with the situation. I'm a journalist, not a mechanic lol.)

Quick Reply: Humming Noise