Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

key fobs & tpms

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:59 AM
Technical Moderator

Yeah, I keep on thinking I should add a disclaimer to my last post defining manual and computer. I will in a minute.

I'm getting to believe that the fobs just aren't matched to the car. I have always thought that the remote keyless entry was on every HHR.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 AM

It sure seems like it should be on every HHR, with just one exterior key slot, much higher risk of being locked out! The owners manual talks about the RKE very matter-of-factly, seemingly indicating that all HHRs have it. Having said that, the language in the owners manual hints that may not be true.
Content Theft-Deterrent
Your vehicle may have a
content theft-deterrent
alarm system. If your
vehicle has Remote
Keyless Entry (RKE), then
it has content
theft-deterrent.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Technical Moderator

Well, then if you lock the car with the "lock all" button on the door, then unlock with the key the horn should honk. And the light on the dashboard should flash about every 20 seconds.

Yes, I know "insert Meatloaf joke here".
Old 02-24-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Well, then if you lock the car with the "lock all" button on the door, then unlock with the key the horn should honk. And the light on the dashboard should flash about every 20 seconds.

Yes, I know "insert Meatloaf joke here".
Mine doesn't work that way, the only way to arm the theft deterrent system is with the fob. Just used your link to look at all the owners manuals, only 2006 and 2008 list the inside power door lock switch as a way to arm the system. Strange.

So if you were to meet him, would you call him "Meat" or "Mr. Loaf"?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Technical Moderator

In interviews they usually refer to "Mr. Loaf", sometimes collaborators refer to "Meat". "Bat out of hell" is okay, too.

Is everybody too young for the joke?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 AM

This is a great community, it's almost like Paradise.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Administrator

I cracked that one in a thread about dashboard lights dim!
You can call him Mike or Mr. Aday also!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:01 PM

Ok!! I found dealer charge nothing to "learn tires" for me. That went very well & is fixed!! But they said niether fob was working ( 1 at parts store battery checker worked?). Wanted $90 for a fob & $40 to program it! I got a new fob on line for $25 & went back, got the $40 program done. All is well now with those 2 problems. I also ask my mechanic friend if he new he had to go to "special functions" on his scanner to program tpms & he said he tried to do it like he has others. I informed him about 2010 mid year production change . Thats when he told me he is not real familier with his scanner & all its functions. Said he almost screwed up somebodys "air bag system" once but got out of that set up in time. Ok again thanks to you guys I have learned alot about my hhr in a short time. Gonna learn more now cause next I need all new speakers , only tweeters are working. AWFULL AWFULL SOUNDING! We leave it off for now. THANKS AGAIN!! I"ll start posting about speaker replacing when I get them.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Technical Moderator

Try the search tool first, there are lots of posts about replacing the speakers.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:44 PM

Similar problems on my '08 Panel. Originally had factory fobs (2) that operated the door locks, alarm, opened rear doors. After one fob went south, I was going to replace it, but found it would cost over $200- (fob and programming). Local stereo/alarm shop had aftermarket system on sale for about $100 more, all in (incl. 2 fobs). Went for it.

4 months ago a TPMS sensor went bad. Needed tires anyway so would have them replace the sensor as well. Turns out, they needed factory fob to get system into re-program mode (aftermarket fob would'nt work), but couldn't get the remaining (factory) fob to work, even with a fresh battery. Finally got to the dealer; they tested it -- none of the functions on it worked except the panic button -- natch. I checked the glove box sticker, neither the AP3 nor the UJM codes are on it, yet I had 2 fully functioning fobs when I bought the vehicle back in 2011.

Guess my question is, will a new factory fob allow TPMS programming given an aftermarket alarm system is present (system is mfd by Carbine), or have I shot myself in the foot with a $300- bullet? Doh! Thanks much in advance for any input! -- Beanie

Quick Reply: key fobs & tpms