Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

key fobs & tpms

Old 02-22-2017, 04:22 PM

key fobs & tpms

Hi! New to the forum. Just got 2010 HHR, 2.2 auto in dec. 5 min from dealer tpms came on dash. Next day cel came on. With this forum help I got the cel to stay off now for 2 weeks by replacing both cam actuators. (Had codes P0011 first then P0013/14) Now I"ve had 2 tire monitor senders replaced and that shop could'nt program system? And my mechanic can't seem to get fobs nor tpms to program. I know fob works by testing at parts store. Tpms reading 0 press. For both rear tires and correct press for front but when I check them its actually reading the press in the rear tires but not reading the front? Because my mechanic can't seem to get either to program he questions the RCDLR? But if reads any tire press correctly I cant understand it. Also the radio is only putting out in the tweeters but thats last on the list. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Your help with the cel was awsome!!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the TPMS may have dead or dying batteries. The speakers are known to be prone to fail after moisture problems, simply install a new set of speakers. We have a handy search feature window, type in door speakers, there are how to threads to guide you.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Technical Moderator

Your 2010 needs a special tool to relearn the TPMS positions.

Look in your Owner Manual. Don't have one? There is a link in my sig.

EL-50448 is the tool needed, if you rotate your own tires you get one for around $50 from China on eBay. Good tire stores should have one, most mechanics that have been around since 2010 should know. TPMS Reset tool EL-50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor OEC-T5 for GM vehicle | eBay

The door speakers have a habit of getting water damaged, they need replacing.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:15 PM

Is there any connection in TPMS and remote fob reciever? My mechanic has a good scanner and can't get either one to respond to commands. Thats why he said he suspects the RCDLR?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:24 PM
Technical Moderator

Does the horn honk when you Press lock & unlock at the same time? Do the door locks respond to the fob? Do the 2 old sensors register? Yes means the RCDLR is working.

A tool MUST be used to excite the TPM senders. Please read the 2010 Owner Manual. A scanner won't do it, maybe a Tech2 will do it or somebody that really knows their equipment can.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:34 PM

Fob does nothing. We use the door switches and lights blink when doors lock.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Technical Moderator

You said the fob works in #1.

Is there a Remote start option in your customization menu on the DIC? If it is turn it on, then test the remote by pressing lock then lock & panic at the same time, the car will magically start. There is a possibility that your car was a fleet order with the option removed.

Is the fob the one that was programmed for the car? If it "does nothing" but the autoparts store checker says the battery and signal are good then it is not, and needs to be programmed. The staements that you attribute to your mechanic lead me to believe he does not know how to use his scantool.

Here are the instructions to do it with a Tech2 they may apply to his machine. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...tech-ii-53547/

There is a way to paste the TPM sender information into the RCDLR, with a Tech2 at least. But you would need the serial numbers for the new TPM senders.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:14 PM

I"ll check the dic. But I don't think it has remote start. What is the "Tech ll"? Actually got 2 fobs with car that look the same but I put new bateries in both and they look totaly different inside. My mechanic may not be up to date with his scantool, but he is excelent on our show cars & prices. HHR is our daily driver, my wifes anyway. I really like it too. TPM sender serial # inside tires?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Is there a Discount Tire chain in your area? If so, they will do it for you for free even if you have never visited their store before.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Technical Moderator

A Tech2 is the GM technicians tool (computer). Some SnapOn and other brands of computers can do most of the same things.

If the code AP3 is not on the sticker on the glovebox door it never had remote fobs. Code UJM means "tire pressure manual learn" , I'm not sure what that means, exactly.

I should have said earlier that SOME 2010 cars must use the special tool to relearn the TPM positions,they changed mid production.

Did the fobs ever unlock the doors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: key fobs & tpms