Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Brake Fluid Warning Message

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 AM

Brake Fluid Warning Message

My 06 LT would show a "Brake Fluid" warning message at first start in very cold weather. There is a service bulletin regarding this defect which requires a new fluid chamber, (all one piece I guess) thank goodness my warranty is still in effect.

Last edited by John Lupanoff; 01-29-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: word error
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Founding Member

It's always nice to get repairs done for free.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:23 PM

And of course mine is out of warranty and doing this.

Great.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM

Question

I believe my '06 LT just did this for the first time today, of course out of warranty and we are having VERY COLD weather. But since there is a TSB I am wondering if it is covered even out of warranty? Maybe not?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 PM

Mine did this last winter, at the end of winter, so I wasn't able to get it in before it warmed up... Now I'm storing it for the winter, so I probably won't get this taken care of before my warranty runs out. That is unless I get the HHR out of storage early, which is a possibility, especially if I road trip it to Florida!

Does anyone know if it will hurt anything if I don't get this fixed? Or, does anyone know how much it would cost to have fixed, or how hard to do yourself?
Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ymerej_mortsdnil
I believe my '06 LT just did this for the first time today, of course out of warranty and we are having VERY COLD weather. But since there is a TSB I am wondering if it is covered even out of warranty? Maybe not?
Omigosh, the SAME THING happened to us, with our '06 HHR LS, RIGHT before our umm, POWER STEERING light also kept coming on (and this was during a VERY COLD day as well) ~ this doesn't sound like an item that can be replaced, though, if out of warranty?? We still have "some" warranty on the HHR, but it's probably NOT covered by this (our power steering WASN'T) ~ might be the Powertrain warranty? I'll have to check!! I'm about ready to trade in our HHR LS at this point...only problem is, convincing the hubby!!!
Important question, does anyone know if it's not good to get it repaired? Or if it's at least possible to wait on it, for a time? We literally JUST had our power steering fixed on the HHR LS, to the tune of $440!
Where would I find the service bulletin regarding this? TIA for any help!!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Mine does it with the brakes about once a winter. It only happens when it is very cold and iy=t just goes away. If it would come back or if I had any problems with the brakes, I would fix it. Being that it has only done it once a winter, I am gonna wait to fix it.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Is it possible that because of the cold, it could be a bit low on fluid, and as it warms the level comes up enough to not indicate? I saw that behavior in a Honda product we had years ago, but haven't seen it in the HHR, at least not yet.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM

My 2006 did this last winter in cold weather, the master cylinder was replaced under warranty (in Spring time). Now this winter I don't get the brake light coming on, I just don't have brakes for the first or second stop (first thing when in the morning when its cold)!

Out of warranty now & not impressed, after about a 100 years of building cars you would think they could get the brakes right as this isn't new technology.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Well I probably did the easiest fix. I quit driving in the cold!!!!!

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Warning Message