Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > Knocking in Engine... 07 LS
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Member #: 67220
Check out my gallery 
Knocking in Engine... 07 LS

have a 2007 ls stock engine.

was getting onto Highway, cars behind us and semi wouldnt get over.. so either get ran over or go faster.. car red lined for about 4 secs. now there is this loud knocking noise coming from front passenger side. doesnt matter if in gear or not in gear.

got home, lifted hood. had her put it in gear and n and p and u could hear it in all of them, if you rev the gas, knock gets louder and faster. all from front passenger side.

what should i start checking?

knock sensor has threw code long time ago and never replaced it. thats just fyi.

Ill Revive her abused body and soul to better then it was!

Last edited by 843de; 12-26-2013 at 09:05 PM.
SwaintaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Premium Member

Member #: 18078
Check out my gallery 
Timing chain tensioner came apart maybe?

A loud knocking sounds like major trouble no matter what. A little hard to diagnois over the internet though.
Maybe use a mechanics stethoscope and pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.

2010 HHR SS, 5spd, LSD, Brembos
TTR rear sway bar
TTR front mount
GM Turbo Upgrade
Forge Motorsports BPV
Pedders Sportsryder springs
Flowmaster HP2 Shorty
firemangeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Member #: 950
Check out my gallery 
Other than little easy things like a serpentine belt that has "knobs or tears", I think, as mentioned above, you have major problems. If that is the issue, then you'll need a qualified professional for assistance.

Oh, and I would NOT drive it.

Curious though on how and under what circumstances it stayed at red line for about 4 seconds?

STUPID
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #4

Check out my gallery 
we only drove it home, it got louder of the drive 22 miles. but i checked the oil, no leaking oil, oil still at level. i know i needed to change the oil 25 miles ago. figured that isnt it either. i have a mechanic friend coming over in am to see... i was just trying to get a heads up on everything.

it didnt drive weird at all when driving it, but it did shut off the engine at stop sign, i had to restart it it.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

Member #: 5120
Check out my gallery 
Removing the valve cover you can see most of timing chain and guides for a visual inspection.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #6

Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Curious though on how and under what circumstances it stayed at red line for about 4 seconds?
merging onto highway so on ramp, semi didnt get over, cars behind us, only option was to floor it, i didnt hear/see it red line for 4 secs, wife is the one who said it red lined... i told her it was probably high line cause of the passing gear from stomping the gas.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

Check out my gallery 
quick update

ok quick update... took out flash light.. im not losing oil, only lost a lil while driving it.

no oil on ground, no puddles, no major oil loss. HOWEVER there is oil on passenger side of suspension components, bottom of motor and near what looks like the pulley for the a/c clutch.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
It doesn't sound good at all, knocking sounds combined with oil being puked out usually indicate a terminal or near terminal condition.

It could a failed timing chain tensoiner allowing the chain to slap the inside of the timing chain cover.

Your chain guides may have disintegrated, or it could be a rod knock where either the bearing on the wrist pin or big end have failed allowing the rod to start "hammering".

Keep us updated, but I have a sinking feeling that your friend the mechanic is going to ruin your day.

But used engines are available starting in the $600-$750 range and on up, if your engine is terminal, that's one option to pursue.

I had a mechanoid friend once who suffered from the same affliction. His name was Gilbert, but he preferred it if people called him "Rameses Niblick the Third, Kerplunk Kerplunk, Whoops, Where's My Thribble?". A sad case. - Kryten the Mechanoid(Red Dwarf)
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #9

Check out my gallery 
im hoping its just the timing chain system busted out.. i can get a new timing chain with all components for 175.00 the plus the labor... waiting to hear from him... how do u tell the difference from timing chain and rod? i thought when u blew a rod it went threw the engine

Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Premium Member

Member #: 18078
Check out my gallery 
Only if the rod breaks. You can have a failed rod bearing or wrist pin that could knock but still be attatched. If it's still connected with a bad bearing it will sometimes beat through the bearing and then start beating against the crank. It won't last long before it "hand gernades" the rod. Usually out the block.

2010 HHR SS, 5spd, LSD, Brembos
TTR rear sway bar
TTR front mount
GM Turbo Upgrade
Forge Motorsports BPV
Pedders Sportsryder springs
Flowmaster HP2 Shorty
firemangeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 PM

submit to reddit