Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Knocking noise when accelerating/slowing down

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Knocking noise when accelerating/slowing down

My car is a five speed manual tranny and has been making a clunking noise during acceleration and stopping. I notice a noise when I accelerate from a standstill. It is a clunk that only occurs once when pulling off. If I accelerate really really slowly it doesn't seem to occur. When I slow down you hear it as well, but again it only clunks once. I have put it in neutral and slowed down and I can't hear seem to hear the clunk. I have tried slowing down in different gears and still hear it. When I accelerate and hear the clunk, if I was to take my foot off the gas for a few seconds and then re-accelerate I still won't hear the clunk. I don't seem to hear it when I am driving over bumpy roads, just during acceleration and stopping. Any ideas?

James
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Just a wild guess, could it be an engine mount?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 PM

The knock also seems to occur when I am turning right only.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:15 AM

Mounts..join the club
Old 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Sorry, which mounts? And is that something that I can change myself? If it is not changed, will it get progressively worse?

James
Old 07-04-2010, 11:17 AM

What year car do you have.....if still under warrenrty take it back.....more then likely the top mount as the motor tends to pivot off the centerline ( crank)
Open hood...set e brake...use foot brake..start car ..put in geaR....partially release clutch while looking under hoodline and watch the eng lay over....
Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 AM

Its a 2007, warranty just expired about 7000 kms ago.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 AM

So, an update on the noise......I have taken a road trip that is 8 hours from home. As I was driving the noise got worse, and now is there only at the lower speeds, highway speeds seems to be not bad. I talk to a friend and he thinks its the struts, which kinda makes sense because it is almost the same noise it was making before when they changed the struts last time. I do remember someone mentioning before that the GM brand struts are not so good quality. My question is two-fold: What would be the best brand to use instead of GM? And is it something that is fairly simple to do??

James
Old 07-11-2010, 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=chocolatefonz;477710]So, an update on the noise......I have taken a road trip that is 8 hours from home. As I was driving the noise got worse, and now is there only at the lower speeds, highway speeds seems to be not bad. I talk to a friend and he thinks its the struts, which kinda makes sense because it is almost the same noise it was making before when they changed the struts last time. I do remember someone mentioning before that the GM brand struts are not so good quality. My question is two-fold: What would be the best brand to use instead of GM? And is it something that is fairly simple to do??[/OUOTE]

Check with GM. If the struts were replaced they might be under warranty. Changing the struts involves removing the coil springs and a spring compressor is required. You can buy complete assemblies which include the struts springs and mounting plates already assembled.

You might want to check your axles if it makes the noise when turning.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:09 PM

yes mine had a cluck as well(its kinda a light clunk noise) and the dealer replaced both axles.....seems to be a problem with hhr's. but with alot of noises its probly hard to explain unless u hear urself

Quick Reply: Knocking noise when accelerating/slowing down