Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Leaking Tranny pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Leaking Tranny pan

So out of no where I find a puddle under the car of tranny fluid.

It appears that the tranny pan is weeping in the front of the pan at the front.

I started it this morning and running for abou 10 minutes, no leak, had my wife put it in drive and it starts leaking.

Need some help:

I can do some simple mechanics. I could pull the pan and put in a new gasket, but knowing ai would drop all the fluid, would i be screwed trying to refill the transmission?

Is the gasket failure random that if i put in a new gasket it won't just blow out again due to some pressure build up? Knowing that the transmission is a sealed unit, does it have a vent or anything that could be clogged that caused the failure to begin with? I dont want to put another gasket it just to blow it out again

it is a 2006 with about 145K kms

Prior to this happening I was getting the TC light periodically, and just changed the intake and exhaust solenoids. I don't imagine this is related, but I'm not ruling it out just yet...

I really hate the idea of having to take car to the mechanic to fix, but don't think I have too many options.

anyone have any feedback on what options I have or what may be the cause of the failure?

Ted
Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Technical Moderator

A.) Has anyone been under the car "tightening bolts"? When the bolts get "tightened" it will cause malformation of the pan and leaks.

B.) Are you positive it's ATF? Be sure before throwing fixes at it.

C.) At 100,000 miles it is due for a ATF change. I don't speak Canadian, check you Owner Manual. Debate among yourselves whether to exchange or change.

D.) Kind of rare for a gasket to fail. More likely a "stone" hit or bolt over tightened.

E.) Use the search tool, you will find lots of info on changing your own. This one for instance: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/transmission-fluid-change-easy-42736/
Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 AM

At about 4 years old, mine did the same thing. I lifted it up and just went around the pan and torqued them down. (Make sure not to over tighten!) and has been good ever since.