Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Light on the radio stay on

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:58 PM

Light on the radio stay on

I bought a hhr but now a saw when I shut down the car and lock it up, all the interior lights turn off except for the radio buttons stay dimly lit. The button lights Will stay On all night. The radio itself turns off and cannot be turned on.
Is this normal?
Kind regards,

Maik

from the Netherlands
Old 03-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum.

No, the lights on the radio should absolutely go off when the vehicle is shut off and locked up. Assuming it's the radio itself that provides the light for the switches, you might want to pull the fuse for the radio so it doesn't drain the battery to the point the vehicle won't start. The fuse will be located in the passengers footwell side of the waterfall that contains the radio. There is a label on the inside that will tell you which fuse is for the radio.

If pulling that fuse does not kill the lights, I'd try pulling the fuse for the interior lights.

Let us know how pulling the radio fuse works, and we'll see what the next step is.

FYI: if it is the radio that is causing the problem, if you install another identical radio be aware that a dealer has to unlock the radio for a fee. A lot of members have just replaced it with an aftermarket system. Apparently one can get a radio that is unlocked already, but they might be hard to find.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Technical Moderator

I suspect that somebody added some after market equipment and tapped into the wrong wire.

Somebody said that you can replace the face plate with no worries about the content theft system.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:34 PM

Thank you,
For the information. I called the Guy who I bought the car from and he sad that the light stay on from the time that he had instold a secend remote control by the dealer. The strange thing is that they can't do anything about it.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Technical Moderator

There is no connection between the remote control and the radio. It is possible that the technician did something wrong in the programming and turned the light on permanently.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:44 AM

Is the radio aftermarket?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Its the originel radio that was put in in 2008!

I Think its a fault from the Chevrolet dealer, i was today with a Chevrolet dealer and they can't fix the problem. but the problem in the Netherlands is that we don't have a decent Chevrolet dealer we have only Opel dealers how sell also Chevrolet! I hope someone has the answer for me.

Back in 2009 somebody had the same proble but, never returned as promised.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...tay-lit-25771/

Do the interior lights dim out over a few minutes after you close the door? Does the radio stay on until you open the driver door?

Last edited by donbrew; 03-27-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:37 PM
Technical Moderator

They used a Tech2 scanner to install your new fob, the lights have been on since then. The technician must have done something he shouldn't have, therefore they can fix it, they don't know how.

They need to call GM technical assistance to learn how to use their tool. I have had the same type of trouble in the US.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:40 PM

My 2007, which is 100% original, (have had it since new) sometimes will have the radio buttons dimly lit after shutting it off, sometimes not. I have seen them stay lit for maybe five to ten minutes, but they always do eventually go off. You can only see this at night in a dark garage. I have never worried about it, as it has never caused a problem.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:10 AM

Oké thank you. So now I have to searh for a Chevrolet dealer with knowledge!
Thank you all

Quick Reply: Light on the radio stay on