Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

My HHR Is Very Sick

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by NoHPbutalotofheritage
That's true, but I couldn't find the relearn procedure for newer models and if it's an automatic relearn it won't hurt to try it anyway.

It doesn't matter to me, the only fix in my situation is to run the car on a dead battery to prevent ENG PWR REDUCED. If I hook up the new battery again, it will reduce power and idle chaotically within minutes of start up.
It's funny, my roommate has a 2009 Kia Rio with 200k miles and he's never working on sensors or electrical problems in our garage. Don't get me wrong, 220k miles on my HHR or any 4 cyl vehicle is def getting your money's worth out of it but there are a lot more headaches associated with GM. I'd prefer my HHR to be carbureted with cables than it be electronically controlled.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM

If I hook up the new battery again, it will reduce power and idle chaotically within minutes of start up.
That sounds very odd. Have you had the new battery checked? Even brand new parts are sometimes faulty.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
That sounds very odd. Have you had the new battery checked? Even brand new parts are sometimes faulty.
I wish I had an answer for you, the new battery checks out on the meter and starts my car right up whereas the old battery is only holding about 10-11V and needs to be jumped to start the car. But it's worth it if it doesn't reduce power on I-80 with a tractor trailer behind me.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Technical Moderator

The reason I brought up the recall is that the ignition switch, which gets replaced, is directly responsible for the signal to the position sensor.

Maybe they recalled for a reason?
Old 01-07-2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The reason I brought up the recall is that the ignition switch, which gets replaced, is directly responsible for the signal to the position sensor.

Maybe they recalled for a reason?
I know but 50 years from now when HHR's are worth some serious money, I'm going to have the only unmodified version which will be worth so much more than all of yours
Old 01-07-2017, 03:34 PM

I know but 50 years from now when HHR's are worth some serious money, I'm going to have the only unmodified version which will be worth so much more than all of yours
Also, the ticking went away with a qt of mystery oil. No more misfiring, eng pwr reduced, or rough idling again using the dead battery. See you guys at 300k !!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Technical Moderator

Double up the percosets, if you cover up the symptoms for a while and the cause doesn't matter.

Good luck with the tow truck experience on I-80.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Double up the percosets, if you cover up the symptoms for a while and the cause doesn't matter.

Good luck with the tow truck experience on I-80.
Haha you're absolutely right, I'm going to do the chain and tensioner. I probably will take it in for the recall work as well, I can't jump my car every time I need to start it just to avoid the reduced engine power.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

That I gotta see.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:24 PM

man. We love our wagons but let's be honest they won't be worth the ground they sit on 50 years from now. I'll still hold onto Gregg till then if that is at all possible! As long as I stay in Florida haha

Quick Reply: My HHR Is Very Sick