Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

My HHR Is Very Sick

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Doubt our safe advice, and take your chances, preventative work will keep it running, ignoring the noises and such , well some have paid the price with bent valves and damaged pistons, so you gotta ask yourself, do I feel lucky? Well do ya!!?

Old 01-08-2017, 03:41 PM

Best LOL this year

Originally Posted by NoHPbutalotofheritage
I know but 50 years from now when HHR's are worth some serious money, I'm going to have the only unmodified version which will be worth so much more than all of yours
I wish you well.

This modification is not one that most would object to, though. Your valuation equation may need another adjustment term or two to account for the change in value... possibly a magnification term.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:24 AM

Update:

ENG PWR REDUCED returned as well as codes for lean system, O2 sensor inactivity/low voltage, and multiple/random cylinder misfires. Also, the car has a hard start and studders violently/stalls.

Observations:

Blue exhaust smoke filling engine cabin via exhaust manifold gasket. Hmm...

Conclusions/FIX:

I just want to say that my JB Cold Weld/Muffler Tape/Aluminum Clamp over the first crack in the exhaust manifold never broke; in fact, it was so good I believe that the gasket couldn't handle the additional stress and finally disintegrated.

Replaced Exhaust Manifold/Gasket, Flex Joint, Spark Plugs, upstream O2 sensor and sounded like a Ferrari first crank. Problems haven't returned to date. For fun, checked fuel pressure at rail as well as each injector; pressure was in spec and injectors had correct resistance and could hear flow through screwdriver. I am thankful GM made the injectors so accessible. Even though my plugs were fairly new, I switched them out in case of fouling from running lean/rich.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Technical Moderator

I just re read the thread. In post # 8 you said this in regard to the ignition recall:
"I understand it's a safety feature but it's almost entirely caused by the throttle body sensor in most cases and quite frankly I'd prefer the motor to catch fire than be in rush hour traffic when it occurs. "
The recall has absolutely NOTHING to do with the throttle body or risk of fire. It IS about the ignition switch up and turning off for no reason. Which will cause the the O2 sensor to stop working, the throttle to stop working and any other sensor to stop working. The sensor ref voltage is directly controlled by the ignition switch.

I think a Ford truck recall had something to do with the ignition causing fires.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I just re read the thread. In post # 8 you said this in regard to the ignition recall:

The recall has absolutely NOTHING to do with the throttle body or risk of fire. It IS about the ignition switch up and turning off for no reason. Which will cause the the O2 sensor to stop working, the throttle to stop working and any other sensor to stop working. The sensor ref voltage is directly controlled by the ignition switch.

I think a Ford truck recall had something to do with the ignition causing fires.
You're right, I am going to have the recall work done. What I was talking about was the "Eng Pwr Reduced" Mode in the quote you're referencing there.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Technical Moderator

The eng power reduced does not have anything to do with a malfunction in the throttle. It is telling you that the computer has diddled with the injectors and timing to reduce power so the engine won't explode.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The eng power reduced does not have anything to do with a malfunction in the throttle. It is telling you that the computer has diddled with the injectors and timing to reduce power so the engine won't explode.
The Eng Pwr Reduced certainly is directed to throttle. If TPS sensor fails on throttle body, it will not send correct voltage to computer. That will trigger "Eng Pwr Reduced" immediately.

​​​​​​
Old 01-12-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by NoHPbutalotofheritage
The Eng Pwr Reduced certainly is directed to throttle. If TPS sensor fails on throttle body, it will not send correct voltage to computer. That will trigger "Eng Pwr Reduced" immediately.

​​​​​​
There are several threads on TPS triggering reduced power mode, it is the most common problem. In my case though, it was a bad exhaust manifold messing with fuel/air mixture.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Great problem solved! Yeah!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Technical Moderator

As I said; A bad ref for the TPS and APP causes a fault, so the computer reduces power so you can't blow the motor up.

The computer can only control the fuel supply, that's why fuel trims are so hard to understand.

For instance; if you have a cracked flex pipe the #1 O2 sensor can read lean so the computer will increase the injector duty cycle causing a rich condition. Or, it can read rich so it reduces the cycle causing a lean condition. Either of those would cause the computer to go into reduced power mode if the conditions are right. Sometimes a crack will admit air (too much Oxygen) into the system making the sensor read rich sometimes exhaust gasses escape before they get to the sensor (not enough Oxygen) causing a lean reading.

Any sensor can short internally causing the entire ref circuit to go bad; engine power reduced mode. In a computer driven car everything that you used to call a switch is now a sensor. There are 2 ref circuits, the APP and TPS use both of them, other sensors use one or the other.

Many faults can cause a reduced power mode, the message tells you that it is activated, not that it is sensing a reduction in power.

Much more complicated than that, but for us amateurs enough.

Quick Reply: My HHR Is Very Sick