Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > My HHR Won't Shift Out Of Park, Help!
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 03:00 AM   #1

Member #: 13673
Check out my gallery 
Exclamation My HHR Won't Shift Out Of Park, Help!

Wow, I can't believe this...sadly we have yet, another problem, with our HHR ~ at first, it seemed like it was shifting "hard", when I was on my way to go pick up my Mom, early Friday evening ~ I was hoping it wasn't a sign of something yet to come, but apparently it was, because after once stopping, and turning off, the car, at my Mom's house, later in the evening, when I went to go home, it wouldn't shift out of PARK for ANYTHING ~ my key did not get stuck, in the ignition or anything (I've been reading of some HHR owner's having that problem?)~ but again, it would not shift at ALL, I had to have it towed to the dealership, and will have to wait, to hear, what the deal is~ I'm truly starting to wonder if our car is a lemon, we've NEVER, EVER, had these many problems with a car with 60K miles, and only a little over 3 years old, before in over 10 years So far we've had the power steering go completely, out on us (which our dealership repaired/replaced just last month, of course it wasn't under warranty!), now we can't shift out of park, and even drive the car, ugh! If anyone has had experience with this situation/problem please post here, I'd love to know of any tips or possible help, thanks so much!
I forgot to add, it's an LS/2006 if that helps!
HHRNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

Check out my gallery 
I see I've had 22 views, can't anyone help me with this issue? I'm so worried about what might be wrong, any possible help would be awesome!!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #3

Member #: 6984
Check out my gallery 
sorry for your problem it sounds like a linkage issue,was it on level ground?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #4

Member #: 15901
Check out my gallery 
^^ Agreed w/ davidjb, was the HHR on level ground, or was it at some type of incline?

Silly question, but is it a manual or auto tranny? Was the fluid ever checked if it was a manual? I know you can't check or change the trans fluid in the auto yourself, that typically "should" last you 100K miles. Even outside temperature "MAY" have an affect on vehicles left outdoors. If the car started up, did you let it warm up enough to let the tranny fluid warm up to operating temp.??? All things to consider when troubleshooting a problem. Hope some of this helps!

Later
Allex
Mods: GM: Turbo Upgrade, Fall Edition Headlights; HAHN: 3" DP, exhaust, IC + piping; TTR: upper MM, custom-cut steering rack spacers; OTTP: Red Hardcore swaybar; 35% tint on front windows, LED's inside, CF stubby, K&N intake, LED Tails, painted calipers, Pedders springs, Forge BPV. HP tuned + more! 13.98 @ 99.98mph
asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #5

Check out my gallery 
Hi, yes, it was on level ground- Parked on a regular side street! What do you mean when you say a linkage issue, thanks for your help!!
Hi Asanti, sorry just now saw your post as well- It's an automatic, if that helps - was able to start the car up easily, but no, didn't run it for more than 4-5 minutes. It was very cold last night, maybe 15 degrees, could that have any effect? Thanks for your help! It's currently at the dealership, they'll be running a test on it free of charge, this afternoon, praying for the best!! :)
Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #6

Check out my gallery 
One more thing to consider: with the outside temps being as cold as they are (I see you're in OH) did you happen to drive through any large puddles or snow? There's an OFF chance the linkages may have frozen if they were waterlogged.... I'm just brainstorming here for ya, but that did happen to me before when I owned my Mustang. I had to let the car sit over 45 min while everything warmed up enough to "loosen".

Allex
Mods: GM: Turbo Upgrade, Fall Edition Headlights; HAHN: 3" DP, exhaust, IC + piping; TTR: upper MM, custom-cut steering rack spacers; OTTP: Red Hardcore swaybar; 35% tint on front windows, LED's inside, CF stubby, K&N intake, LED Tails, painted calipers, Pedders springs, Forge BPV. HP tuned + more! 13.98 @ 99.98mph
Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #7

Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHRNewbie View Post
Hi, yes, it was on level ground- Parked on a regular side street! What do you mean when you say a linkage issue, thanks for your help!!
If you've a manual tranny, the linkages might have popped loose, so you can't "shift" out of park or go into any gear basically (those w/ a manual can chime in). In an auto, parking on an incline CAN put enough strain on the tranny to not easily let it shift out of Park.

Later
Allex
Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #: 4865
Check out my gallery 
I believe he is saying the shifter won't come out of park. Which would indicate it's a shifter problem.

ChevyMgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #9

Check out my gallery 
I feel silly asking, LOL, but I'm assuming auto means, not a shift, that's what a manual is, right? LOL! Ours is an automatic, I'm sure (not stick shift), so the linkeage issue probably doesn't apply? We had a wheel bearing replaced earlier that day, not sure if that could be an issue ? Don't think we drove through any puddles or snow worth mentioning! :)
To answer the above post, yes it's the shifter that won't come out of park!!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #10

Check out my gallery 
OK so if it's the shifter not moving (auto= automatic transmission! sorry lol), it's been said that if any liquids have been (accidentally) spilled on the shifter, that can happen. If not there may be a problem with one of the rods in the shift linkage.

Last edited by asanti; 01-30-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: I type too fast!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 PM

submit to reddit