Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Lost my brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Lost my brake fluid

So my passenger side rear brake line sprung a leak suddenly where it meets the hard line on my 2007 HHR Premier Edition.

Anyone else have this issue?

Just under 80K and this vehicle has been 1 BIG disappointment. GM wouldn't fix my rotor issue at 30k so I replace my front rotors and pads myself. I am on my 3rd set of tires trying to find something quiet and they are all loud on it so now I have replace my rear shocks and that doesn't help either. GM refuses to stand behind any of the issues with the car. I have also had intermittent TC and ABS lights going on and off in the winter but luckily that stopped about 2 months ago and hasn't came back.

Now the car is trying to kill me. Thanks Chevy! I wouldn't trust you clowns to build me a lawn mower after owning this POS.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
Banned

My Michelin Destiny tires are quiet..

Sorry to hear about your brake line.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to here about your troubles and I hate to ADD to them, but your tire noises are probably not tires. Probably front hubs/bearings, especially if NO TIRE eliminated the noise/sound.

Curious, did you buy the car new or was it preowned??
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM

Believe it or not, but the cheapest tires discounttire.com has, Riken Raptor VR tires, are quiet and with 33k miles on them have not worn all that much. They also seem to have more grip than the original ones too!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by snoopy
sorry to here about your troubles and i hate to add to them, but your tire noises are probably not tires. probably front hubs/bearings, especially if no tire eliminated the noise/sound.

curious, did you buy the car new or was it preowned??
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Deceased

Honestly sounds like the diagnostic procedures used to track the source of the noise and correct it are all back-ass-wards. If you're doing the shocks that suggests to me that the rear tires are cupping, hence getting noisier the more you pile miles on them, that could have been caught on the first set of tires by checking for wear patterns and overall condition of the shocks. Once tires are cupped, they are cupped, pure, plain, and simple....can't do anything but junk 'em at that point.

Having a brake line let go is unusual in a five year old vehicle, but not impossible, more than likely it was just corrosion. It wouldn't have killed you as long as you didn't panic, dual circuit brakes mean you still had full braking capability on the left rear and right front, plus the E-Brake.

Front brake issues on HHR's all go back to the same thing in nearly every case, unless we're dealing with an SS. The rear brakes were out of adjustment, and due to that, you went through the front brakes prematurely. Have the rears adjusted up at every oil change or tire rotation, and the fronts will give plenty of drama free service.

And as sleeper pointed out, the front hubs need to be checked and ruled out. They'll carry on like nobody's business when they fail.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM
geg

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Sorry to here about your troubles and I hate to ADD to them, but your tire noises are probably not tires. Probably front hubs/bearings, especially if NO TIRE eliminated the noise/sound.

X3

very sorry for you, man! and your car is a pity, too ..
If it was bought second-hand - the old master had left him dying.
I recommend a complete diagnosis by a reliable expert.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by 843de

Honestly sounds like the diagnostic procedures used to track the source of the noise and correct it are all back-ass-wards. If you're doing the shocks that suggests to me that the rear tires are cupping, hence getting noisier the more you pile miles on them, that could have been caught on the first set of tires by checking for wear patterns and overall condition of the shocks. Once tires are cupped, they are cupped, pure, plain, and simple....can't do anything but junk 'em at that point.

Having a brake line let go is unusual in a five year old vehicle, but not impossible, more than likely it was just corrosion. It wouldn't have killed you as long as you didn't panic, dual circuit brakes mean you still had full braking capability on the left rear and right front, plus the E-Brake.

Front brake issues on HHR's all go back to the same thing in nearly every case, unless we're dealing with an SS. The rear brakes were out of adjustment, and due to that, you went through the front brakes prematurely. Have the rears adjusted up at every oil change or tire rotation, and the fronts will give plenty of drama free service.

And as sleeper pointed out, the front hubs need to be checked and ruled out. They'll carry on like nobody's business when they fail.
Got the car at like 25K miles. Tires aren't cupping and tires wear fine. The proceedure used to track road noise was I listened and heard a lot of road noise that seemed to come from rear of vehicle so I replaced the original firehawks with Continental DWS tires that were 225/50 R17 and it was still loud. Figured it was the hard sidewall on the tire and after a year put on some Hankook V2 concepts 215/50 R17 and it is still loud and vibrating so I decided now (77k miles) to replace the rear shocks and see if that would help. (it didn't)

Also when changing the shocks I noticed on the passenger side rear spring the foam noise dampener on top of the spring deteriorated and fell off (it was hanging in the spring).

So does anyone know what the warrenty on the front bearing and hub is? 100K I hope?

I won't take it to my local dealer because they wouldn't even test drive it when I told them about the front rotors causing the car to shudder violently when braking light to medium with it. (@ 30K, I replaced them myself and been fine since)

I guess I will price new bearings/hub parts if it is not under warrenty and have my local mechanic just replace them if they aren't too expensive and have him put braided brake lines on at the same time and new sound dampening material on the rear springs and make sure everything is tight back there. I honestly wonder if something is loose in the rear link and it was pulling on the brake line or the vibration it caused striped the threads on the hard line where it is leaking.

How could Chevy make a car in 2007 that has brake lines and rotors not make it to 100K+ miles? Hell the rotors didn't even make it to 30K. Now possibly wheel bearings going out or hub loosening at 75K or less? Seems the only thing they got right on this car was the body style and powertrain.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ImNewHere
Believe it or not, but the cheapest tires discounttire.com has, Riken Raptor VR tires, are quiet and with 33k miles on them have not worn all that much. They also seem to have more grip than the original ones too!
I don't think it is the tires anymore, but I will keep those tires on my short list when it is time to replace mine. Thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy

Quick Question. the road noise lessens/goes away when turning lightly (lane change) to the right but gets worse when turning to the left.

This was one of the reasons I figured tire noise and suspension, but could I be wrong and it is a sign the hub assembly is causing that much noise and vibration?

Quick Reply: Lost my brake fluid