Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Leaking Shock

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:46 PM

Leaking Shock

Finally have a little problem. Noticed some oil drops under the left rear shock a few days ago. Called the dealer about it and found they didn't have one in stock for my vin #, but they wouldn't order one until I took it in so they could verify the leak . (You would think they might want to have one on hand anyway!) Anyhow, we took it over this afternoon after my Wife got home from work with it and sure enough he said "Yeah, it's leaking alright!" Then he discovered that no other Chevy Dealer in the Phoenix area had that shock either. So we have to go running over there again in a few days after they get one from GM. It's still under Warranty so at least it's a freebie.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:08 PM

What dealer did you take it to?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
What dealer did you take it to?
Thorobred Chevrolet in Chandler. That's where we bought it back in Aug. '05.
They're only about a mile from where we live. That's a big part of why we bought a Chevy to begin with actually! No complaints about them, but you'd think they would have a couple of shocks on hand for a car that's been out for going on 2 years now.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

I agree about having some parts on hand.

But, if they ordered the parts, they are probably coming from SPO in California. They should have them Monday or Tuesday. If, you're concerned about getting the repair, better check on the delivery though, most dealers have a poor notification procedure.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:00 PM

rear brake drums

I have been waiting since before Christmas for new rear brake drums since mine have hot spots according to dealer. I call every week or so and now they say they are in transit to the warehouse. God forbid to be a part that keeps the car running, then I don't know what happens there. Maybe drive a rental for days or months!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
Finally have a little problem. Noticed some oil drops under the left rear shock a few days ago. Called the dealer about it and found they didn't have one in stock for my vin #, but they wouldn't order one until I took it in so they could verify the leak . (You would think they might want to have one on hand anyway!) Anyhow, we took it over this afternoon after my Wife got home from work with it and sure enough he said "Yeah, it's leaking alright!" Then he discovered that no other Chevy Dealer in the Phoenix area had that shock either. So we have to go running over there again in a few days after they get one from GM. It's still under Warranty so at least it's a freebie.

Shepard Chevrolet in Lake Forest Illinois replaced my front Struts due to a Leakage, and the Struts were on a national Back order, It took 2 weeks to get in, and your right at least they were free they even changed my Brakes again this was the 3 rd time. My daughter went over 36,000 miles on Friday 2-9-2007 and no I never get the extended warranty any more.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 PM

I just got my car inspected today. The front struts were leaking the right one has to be replaced. Car has over 50k miles on it and is a 2006. The bill for replacing them is 650.00. They will be using Monroe struts not the ones from GM. I have called GM on this so far they are saying no issues. My HHR was one of 6 that had the same problem.
How big of an issue is this. Because GM says non issue. I still like the car but this a huge problem at the wrong time.

Alan
Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Expecting to get more than 50k on OEM shocks is unreasonable. Most OEM shocks are worn out by that point. You just see the result because yours failed by leaking. If they weren't leaking and you changed the shocks you would probably understand they were worn out by the increase in the ride comfort.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I understand. I had a 1982 Cutlas that had 80k on it before replacing the shocks. But again that was back in the day.

Alan
Old 03-24-2009, 01:46 PM

And I bet you if you had replaced the OEM shocks at 40 or 50k you would have been amazed at the improvement in the ride and handling!

Quick Reply: Leaking Shock