Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need just a little help with a possible gas tank leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:58 PM

Need just a little help with a possible gas tank leak

Here's what we're working with

The HHR smells strongly like fuel in and around the cabin when the gas tank is full - this is something noticeable just walking around the outside

A mechanic diagnosed this about a month ago as a leak on top of the gas tank.

I did not speak to him directly and am only being relayed this information 2nd hand, however I'm being told the mechanic mentioned that a riveted flange has a crack.

Right now we have the gas tank dropped - no signs of any leaks that we can see and can't figure out what they mean by a riveted flange. Unfortunately I have no additional details on the location.

Does anyone have an idea what I should be looking for? We've inspected the tank all around and can't seem to locate any issues.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:59 PM

I should mention that there are no CELs and the smell is 24/7 even after the car has been sitting over night
Old 08-31-2014, 02:02 PM
Technical Moderator

Purge vent. The one on the charcoal canister next to the gas tank, is the most likely culprit unless you can identify liquid gas somewhere.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 PM

thanks we're checking that out now
Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

If you have the gas tank dropped, the only flange you probably can see is the fuel pump hole/access. Just make sure the gasket is intact.

But I agree with donbrew relative to the charcoal canister. You probably over fill your tank by "squeezing or rounding" the gas fill. That sometimes causes the problem you describe and causes damage to the charcoal filter, which would need replacement. Especially if you smell gas fumes all the time (the flange on the top would probably only leak when the tank is full).

Are you getting any codes on the dash read out?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:02 PM

It only seems to smell like gas when the tank is topped off - we're not over filling it intentionally but we do wait for the pump to stop .

We spoke to the mechanic today and were told that they had completely removed the tank and did some sort of smoke test - and only then they were able to find the leak.

Tonight isn't looking like a good night for me but I'll hopefully have time tomorrow to get back under there and figure out whats going on.

I'll post updates - next up are the front wheel bearings
Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Shouldn't a crack in the fuel tank cause a CEL? This issue has been going on for months and so far no CEL..
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a little confused by your previous posts. You said the mechanic had the tank out to find the leak?
So, why wasn't it fixed at that time? And they reinstalled a leaking tank back into the car ?

Last edited by firemangeorge; 09-03-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: deleted answer because I misread the OP's ?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Administrator

yeah my question exactly, and as for the CEL and crack enough to allow fuel vapors out of the tank would be big enough to allow pressure out and trip a code, I believe this issue to be the one Don mentioned in post #3, please keep us posted
Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 AM

I had fuel leaking (dripping) in front of left rear tire and had no codes popping up that I saw unless I had to be looking for them.

Quick Reply: Need just a little help with a possible gas tank leak