Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need to repair codes so I can pass inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Technical Moderator

Have you already changed the VVT valves? Could be one or both going bad.

Could be your tune is in need of updating.

Could be the wheel that got hit needs a new hub.

Could be a ground wire got loosened.

Could be the ignition switch is wonky.

Could be a fuse is loose or corroded underneath.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:14 PM

THanks Don for your insight. Two years ago, I changed something up top-I have to check my log book to be sure, but they dropped into the top. It was to correct a code so I could pass inspection back then. And, if I recall, it stopped the TC code for a few weeks. There was a recall for the ignition switch a while ago. Funny story-I bought one and put it in myself, but then had to do it over again and have the dealer do it to comply with some regulation crap. I have checked the fuses many times-there was an issue with them being loose and causing problems. I did change the hub and have checked all the wires and connections previously. I also checked the tune situation out around 6 years ago. I went to the shop, which was 3 hours from my house, and had them restore it to stock. I drove around for a while and still threw the code, so I had them put the tune back in.

What is the WT valve?

Again thanks for your help.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Technical Moderator

Variable Valve Timing. That is the typical cause of the traction light. Use of other than 5W30 oil can do it. Oil additives can do it.

Dirty or going bad MAF can cause your symtoms.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
That was my first thought-but keep in mind that many, many other people have the same TC code problem that have not had accidents. And remember that I do not have to be moving for the light to come on. Sometimes I start my car in the morning, let it idle for a few moments, and the light will suddenly come on.
When you say the tc code do you mean that the traction control light illuminates? And if it illuminates it's just the traction light and not the check engine light? If so that simply means that the computer has set a soft or pending code. I had purchased an airaid intake and no matter what I did after a few pulls the code p0171 would set as a pending code with illuminated tc light. I tried everything I could and eventually ended up having to sell the intake system and go back to stock. I have a 2006 2.4 and think that the early 2.4 were a bit finiky
Old 03-06-2017, 03:39 PM

I just checked again, and no PO171 code anymore. Could it just have been a fluke? Still have to switch my injectors to see if the cylinder 1 misfire moves.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Question-when changing injectors, do you have to bleed the system afterwards, or can I just swap them?

3 days ago (Monday) I pulled off the fuel rail and cleaned the soot off of all 4 injectors. I also cleaned the MAF sensor and changed the air filter. Then I cleared all the codes from the computer. For the next hour, I drove around and there were were no codes. The car idled smoother, and all seemed great. Then, one by one, the 3 lights came back on (TC, ABS, and check engine). Some, like the TC, came on while the car was not moving-sitting at a traffic light. When I checked for codes, I had 4-2 for P0131 and 2 for P0171. I had only gotten that code once before, about a month ago, then never got it again until Monday. Since then, I have checked for codes 3 times a day, and only get the 131 code.

The car has 84,000 miles on it. How long do fuel injectors last? The engine has more hours on it than the miles predict-lots of city driving and lots of the car just idling while I wait for people (either to keep the heat or A/C on).

I need to get this resolved in the next 2 weeks so I can pass inspection.

Thanks for any help you can provide
Old 03-16-2017, 12:30 PM

Check for exhaust leaks: cracked flex pipe, bad exhaust manifold or gasket(s). https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...ry-sick-58231/
Old 03-16-2017, 12:36 PM

No exhaust leaks. No sound or exhaust fumes. Like I said, only got the P0171 two times-more concerned with the P0131, which I am hoping is just an injector. Next, if it is as simple as I think, I will switch around the injectors to see if the code changes to a different cylinder. Just need to make sure I can just move the injectors with out bleeding the system, or anything else.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Technical Moderator

P0131 has absolutely nothing to do with A/F ratio! It has to do with voltage to the #2 sensor.

You do need to relieve the fuel pressure before you get into the injectors. Just a rag over the Schrader valve to suck up an oz of fuel.

The p0171 is causing the TC warning.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Bleeding the injectors is a diesel thing.

Quick Reply: Need to repair codes so I can pass inspection