Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

new blower motor not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by sxydbear
My blower motor works when it wants to. Here in the south, at summer is not the time for this. I changed resistor, no dice. Changed motor, no dice. Leads to motor run one with current, one ground.When I plug in motor, both leads ground. When I force power (power probe) fan runs fine, going thru all speeds, but without forced power, no juice to fan. WHAT THE HECK? All fuses checked, even bcm is good. I am at wits end here. Any help?
The switch? As stated above (in post #3) the resistor pack is to ground. You did look at the wiring schematic, right?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 PM

My blower motor works when it wants to. Here in the south, at summer is not the time for this. I changed resistor, no dice. Changed motor, no dice. Leads to motor run one with current, one ground.When I plug in motor, both leads ground. When I force power (power probe) fan runs fine, going thru all speeds, but without forced power, no juice to fan. WHAT THE HECK? All fuses checked, even bcm is good. I am at wits end here. Any help?
Sounds like the relay is not allowing power thru to the blower motor all the time. This could be because it is going bad or could be that the HVAC head is going bad and not always activating the relay. I would try swapping the relay out first and if it continues to happen then look into replacing the head.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:18 PM

ok, so I'm not the car guy. I am a woman in the south dying from heat stroke. my ac fan works only when it wants to. I changed fan, power head, resistor, relay, gees what else? T
Old 09-10-2014, 03:40 PM

sxydbear,

Does the fan work on vent or heater?

alvis
Old 09-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

ok, so I'm not the car guy. I am a woman in the south dying from heat stroke. my ac fan works only when it wants to. I changed fan, power head, resistor, relay, gees what else? T
Sorry. But to be blunt, you need someone who can do some diagnostic work for you. Just "throwing parts" at it,,,well you might eventually get lucky.
If each of those parts had been checked 1st, then you could have eliminated them as the source of the trouble.
Guessing you replaced some stuff that was probably not needed.

You said you replaced a relay but didn't say which one. Also, in one of the earlier posts, someone stated their problem was fixed by the BCM3 fuse. Your post didn't say anything about the status of fuses.

Out of curiosity, what have you been doing for the last several months of our Gulf coast summer heat ?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Technical Moderator

I suggest a pro.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:29 PM

Just want to add a big 'THANK YOU' to the original question asker and the folks that responded in here. Same exact problem for me- my blower motor went almost a year ago, I got a quote to fix it and it was $500. I went the whole winter without a defroster. In Cleveland. Yeah, it was fun.

Anyway, finally got fed up enough to fix this, and thx to you folks I was able to do it right. Turns out the butyl patch, which I did not know about until I read this, was my issue- my blower was all corroded from water getting in. Here I thought I was a giant slob and kept spilling stuff. Everyting else was the same- the resistor was corroded (before my fan went it only worked on high, didn't know why, now I do), and the bcm3 was blown. Fixed the butyl patch with a piece of aluminum, had a huge nasty flooding thunderstorm last night... passenger side was bone dry. Swapped out the motor, resistor and fuse today... got a heater and AC again. All for $135. Much thx everyone!
Old 09-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Cool!!!! Glad it worked out for you.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by macbdog
Just want to add a big 'THANK YOU' to the original question asker and the folks that responded in here. Same exact problem for me- my blower motor went almost a year ago, I got a quote to fix it and it was $500. I went the whole winter without a defroster. In Cleveland. Yeah, it was fun.

Anyway, finally got fed up enough to fix this, and thx to you folks I was able to do it right. Turns out the butyl patch, which I did not know about until I read this, was my issue- my blower was all corroded from water getting in. Here I thought I was a giant slob and kept spilling stuff. Everyting else was the same- the resistor was corroded (before my fan went it only worked on high, didn't know why, now I do), and the bcm3 was blown. Fixed the butyl patch with a piece of aluminum, had a huge nasty flooding thunderstorm last night... passenger side was bone dry. Swapped out the motor, resistor and fuse today... got a heater and AC again. All for $135. Much thx everyone!
I dont know where the dealers (and some independents too) get some of their prices.
a while ago, I called 4 diff dealers for my nieces car repair and got extreme price differences. some were explained by suggesting additional work while apart, but some seemed like a gouge.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:06 PM

Switch/knob

Oh, and to check if its the switch, pull it off, and you can directly connect the orange and black wires. That directly connects the blower motor. Also bypassing the resistor.

Looks like I get to search for a new heater control body

Quick Reply: new blower motor not working