Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

New ECM troubles...

Old 07-13-2016, 06:15 PM

New ECM troubles...

Just installed a supercharger and kit from ZZP, then sent my stock ECM and TCM to get reprogrammed for all of the mods. It worked there on a test car, but back here on my car it won't start. We tried all 3 relearn procedures as recommended, but no go. Plugging up our Snap-on Solus ultra scanner produces a bunch of codes, and it can't see the ECM. Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated. It's a frustrating puzzle. They suggested recheck all of the connections, but it worked fine when it was stock.

ECM flash for:
Year 2007
Model hhr
Engine 2.4
Trans auto
Supercharged
Injectors 60 lb
TB LSJ
Map sensor 2 bar

Supercharger kit:
2.2/2.4L Bolt on Supercharger Kit

Relearn procedures:
How do I perform a security relearn?
1st one:
1. Disconnect battery
2. Install new computer
3. Reconnect battery
4. Put emergency brake on to disable daytime running lights (this step is required!)
5. Make sure all doors trunk and hood are closed leave driver window down and reach in through the window
6. Try to start. If it doesn't start, leave the key in the on position for 10 min on 97-03 cars and 15 min for 04 and newer cars. The security light should turn off after this amount of time.
7. Turn off ignition for 3 seconds
8. Try and start the car. It probably won't start. Repeat step 5 two more times.
9. If this doesn't work disconnect battery for 5 seconds and then try and start the car.
If that doesn’t work, try this one:
1. Disconnect battery for 10 sec.
2. Reconnect battery
3. Turn key to ON position
4. Do not try to start vehicle, just quickly click to RUN position to engage security light
5. Let vehicle sit with key ON for 35 min.
6. Attempt to crank vehicle. Once vehicle is running, the security light may still be on
7. If security light is still on, turn key to OFF position for 5 sec.
8. Turn key to ON position and security light should turn off
9. Start vehicle and enjoy new PCM
And if that doesnt work, some have had this one work:

1. Try to start the vehicle.
2. Turn ignition to OFF for 10 seconds.
3. Turn ON (NOT START) the ignition (using a black Master Pass-Key III key, not a gray Valet key).
4. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the first time.
5. Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
6. Turn ON (NOT START) the ignition (using a black Master Pass-Key III key, not a gray Valet key).
7. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the second time.
8. Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
9. Turn ON (NOT START) the ignition (using a black Master Pass-Key III key, not a gray Valet key).
10. Observe the SECURITY telltale on the dashboard. After approximately ten minutes it should turn off for the third time.
11. Turn OFF the ignition and wait for ten seconds.
12. Start the vehicle.
Notes: If your car starts at any time and stays running, you are done. If your car starts and dies, try step 9. If it dies after 2 seconds after you have done these steps, you either have a bad FP resistor or the security setting in your PCM is wrong and it will need an update. Security relearn procedure will not work with the valet key!

The codes we are getting back are:
P0107
P0118
P0123
P0223
P0532
P0690
P0700
P1682
P2101
P2119
P2135
U0073
U0101
U0140
Old 07-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Technical Moderator

When I replaced the ECM on a 2011 2.2L NO security re learn was needed.

I just plugged it in and started the car, with the CEL for needing to re learn the crank shaft position sensor.

All of those codes lead to power not getting to sensors.

fuse #26,#41,#45 for the ECM and relay #26 for the ECM along with a bent pin on the connector are my suspects. Or basically, did you seat the fuse box correctly?

Did you disconnect the battery while R&R the ECM?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas!!

I think we did disconnect battery when working on the install of new parts. Fuses looked good, but I'll recheck the others you listed (only pulled 41 and 43). Fuse box wasn't moved but I'll check that too.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:10 PM

Also yes, we disconnected the battery each time we tried a reset and relearn.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:34 PM
Technical Moderator

Plugging and unplugging the ECM with the battery connected can brick the ECM. I was lucky, but others not so much.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks so far for the help donbrew. I saw you were helping on a bunch of other posts in the past, so I appreciate this one!

I went ahead and got another ECM flashed to my VIN, so I'll try that tomorrow. If it's still the same issue, we'll know its a wiring or ground thing.

Today, we checked all connections and grounds. But according to ZZP they think maybe we have the wrong wiring harness from them. In my opinion though, just a bad throttle body or incorrect TB wiring wouldn't produce ALL of those codes just some of them. The most troubling is that our scanner doesn't even see the ECM. That leads me to think it has to be something in their tune or in the unit itself, which was fine when I sent it out.

More puzzles....
Old 07-15-2016, 07:23 AM
Technical Moderator

a wrong harness might do it. All arrows are pointing at a lack of electricity.

The 2 Uxxxx codes are "lost communications" with the TCM and BCM.

If it doesn't see the ECM, How is it getting codes from it?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:41 PM

Hmm could be the BCM then, as the TCM was flashed along with the ECM. But all door locks and windows work, so it seems less likely it's the BCM. We'll see what happens when the new ECM comes and if it's the same issues.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:07 PM
Technical Moderator

I'm thinking more like a wire/connector. Wrong harness is sounding good.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:07 PM

ZZP says it may be the wiring of the IC pump into the 10amp circuit as it could cause electrical issues. I'll check that tomorrow. Maybe an adapter will help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New ECM troubles...