Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No radio sound, no turn signal sound or OnStar sounds, any guidance?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 PM

Unhappy No radio sound, no turn signal sound or OnStar sounds, any guidance?

Hi There:

Looking for any guidance, my 2007 HR has no radio at all, no sound for turn signals and no OnStar although turn signal works and OnStar green button is on. A friend tested and looked at the most relevant fuses but they seemed ok, didn't check the mini fuse in the rear though. Couldn't find a fuse for radio specifically but checked te audio one and it's fine. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Deceased

You did the right first step by checking and eliminating a blown or loose fuse, the next thing to consider is a complete failure of the head unit.

They do fail, and since you have zero output, instead of just losing the chimes(that is almost always a blown or disconnected left front speaker), its time to consider upgrading to an aftermarket unit...or getting a used head unit on e-Bay.

If you get a used factory head unit, the vehicle will have to be programmed to recognize the replacement, they're keyed to the vehicle's specific VIN.

Aftermarket units will require an adapter harness so that you'll get your chimes and so forth through the speakers.

You might consider having your dealer do a diagnostic check of the original unit to verify whether its failed.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks 843de, was hoping it was a fuse but probably not looking that way, I greatly appreciate your feedback.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:26 PM

Exclamation

It might not be the head unit. I have the same problem occasionally. It's the amp in the back above the sub, assuming you have one. My temp fix is to smack the panel. Sometimes it takes a couple of try's. I think its a short in the amp or a loose connection. A good bump in the road also kicks it back on.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:28 PM

2006 Chevy HHR No Sound Radio Controls

Okay read in a few forums after dead battery no sound or radio and no blinker sound.

Here's what I did.
First checked the fuses, all okay.
Pulled them anyway and put them back, still no go.

Getting pissed it's memorial weekend and I just signed up for 6 months Sirius for $25 at that.

Now going through the forums and nothing working but, I'm gonna fix this.

So I turn the ignition to the ON position and pull the fuse to make sure I'm pulling the right one (okay Radio goes out) I then turn the ignition off, I wait 30 seconds go to pop it back in and a sparks fly.

Hmm that can't be good so I pull the fuse to see if I blew it (not like a seal as in here
), a little humor had to after all this crap.

So as I checked the fuse it was okay and I put it back in, I try the radio it didn't even come on, well that's because I turned the ignition off DOH!

But......... next thing I know I here DING DING DING, the sound you left your keys in the car.
I hopped back in the drivers seat turned the ignition on and VOILA!

The radio works.

Hope this posts helps!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Technical Moderator

That kind of sounds like the top of the fuse block not connecting to the bottom correctly. There is a TSB about that.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 PM

This past weekend I replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket one (Kenwood). The radio plays great and that solved the problem I had with the original radio. However, today I noticed my turn signal has no sound (but the lamps work at front and rear), and the key-in-ignition chime no longer works. Nothing else was done to the car and the problem occurred after the radio replacement, so it would appear there is a clear cause/effect relationship. Is there anything I can do to get the sounds back? I read the previous posts in this thread but not sure if that's really the solution.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Did you get the unit that integrates the chimes with the audio system?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Yep. Gotta have the correct radio with the internal chime compatibility or get an adapter that does the same.

Which Kenwood did you install?

I've been reading all the specs on the Kenwoods. (Researching for a replacement for my Dodge truck.)
Man! Trying to get a good replacement with the correct features has turned into a complicated search.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Yep. Gotta have the correct radio with the internal chime compatibility or get an adapter that does the same.

Which Kenwood did you install?

I've been reading all the specs on the Kenwoods. (Researching for a replacement for my Dodge truck.)
Man! Trying to get a good replacement with the correct features has turned into a complicated search.
Yeah, the stock radio has all the chimes in it but you can get a thing to replace those {like this}

Robot Check Robot Check

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No radio sound, no turn signal sound or OnStar sounds, any guidance?