Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2007 hhr won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM

2007 hhr won't start

just bought a 2007 hhr from a co-part auction we got the car back home with a "key" and the car will not start, it acts like it wants to start but won't we tried starting fluid, differnt plugs, and still no go. this is the way I bought the car as a no-run, it took a minor hit to the drivers side fender and door and bent the rear axle too the car is getting plenty of gas to the point of fouling out the plugs, did a compresion check it is 100psi on 1, 95 on 2, 75 on 3, 110 on 4, I take the the differnt readings as gas washing down the walls, it has the 2.4 litre engine about a 100k on it if we hold the gas pedal down to the floor is the only way we can get it to fire like a hit and miss as you leave up on the pedal it stops firing, any sugestions?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

welcome to the site jtuchol sounds like something computer to me, one of the smart guy's will be along anytime now .
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by jtuchol
just bought a 2007 hhr from a co-part auction we got the car back home with a "key" and the car will not start, it acts like it wants to start but won't we tried starting fluid, differnt plugs, and still no go. this is the way I bought the car as a no-run, it took a minor hit to the drivers side fender and door and bent the rear axle too the car is getting plenty of gas to the point of fouling out the plugs, did a compresion check it is 100psi on 1, 95 on 2, 75 on 3, 110 on 4, I take the the differnt readings as gas washing down the walls, it has the 2.4 litre engine about a 100k on it if we hold the gas pedal down to the floor is the only way we can get it to fire like a hit and miss as you leave up on the pedal it stops firing, any sugestions?
Sounds like a computer/ignition thing to me....but its hard to diagnose over the internet....

Welcome to the forum btw

Simply put you need 4 things for the engine to run, air, fuel, compression, and ignition...you know all is good with air and fuel with using starting fluid. If your compression tests are good , then I'd start with ignition and electronics
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

"it took a minor hit to the drivers side fender"

You may want to check that area since that's where the fuse box and electronics are located.

Fwiw. Those compression numbers don't sound good. Fuel wash shouldn't cause such varying numbers.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 AM

Did the air bags deploy? I believe it has to be reset if the bags deployed...
Old 03-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Is it the correct key? Is the theft light on? I agree those compression numbers don't sound so good.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 PM

bags are good lite hit, car even has a clear title!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:09 PM

I will have to look at the theft lite, I didn't notice but looked at the key it seems "used" so I assume it is ok, probably the first thing I am going to do is take a scanner to it and see if any codes sent, I did notice that computer ( I think that is it located in front of the fuse box under the hood seems loose)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM

bags are good!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 AM

got car started! found some strange things though, the oil was way over filled! took about a quart and a half off of ot dried the plugs out real good and car started right up, now the problems, with the oil filler cap of getting alot of blow by don't know if it is left over from the over filling or what. Found out the radiator is leaking from the accident ( broken bracket, didn't run long will have to get radiator before running and driving. still kind of scary with the blowby.

Quick Reply: 2007 hhr won't start