Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:30 PM

No tail lights

2008 Chevy HHR, no tail lights, keeps blowing out fuse #69.
Bought a new relay, new fuse, still blows the fuse.
Had to put in a 15 amp fuse so I can have tail lights to drive home.

Directional lights, break lights, everything else works fine. Just no tail lights when I am driving at night/day.

Sent it to the dealership, they look at it for a full day and still couldn't figure out what's wrong. Said they have no idea how much longer this will take them.

Frustrated with them, i sent it to a local mechanics and has been with him for a week now. Every time he thought he got it fixed, took the car out for a ride, etc, blows a fuse again!

Anyone has any idea?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 PM

Sorry to hear you have an electrical problem. They can be tricky to find. Sounds to me like a pinched/grounded wire somewhere. A good mechanic with electric knowledge should be able to find it. I would find one that is more specializes in electrical. Putting a larger fuse in can cause more serious problems such as overloading the wiring and causing a possible fire.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

SotongMom- Welcome,

Is this a new problem, or did you just discover it ?

Does it blow the fuse Only when you hit the brake, or anytime ? Need more info.

Sounds like a possible shorted wire. Good place to start looking anyhow.

Get your mechanic to remove the fuse & connect a test light in place of the fuse terminals..

There should be NO voltage present in that circuit. Then jiggle the wiring harness from side to side watching the test light.

If it lights, there is a short to ground around that area. Look closely for where wiring insulation may have rubbed thru..

This is where I would start anyhow.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 PM

I would check the bulbs, and the brake light switch. I'm guessing a bad ground rather than a short. If it were a short, a larger fuse would not matter. But a bad ground would draw more current, and the larger fuse may allow that.....but beware the melting of wires and burning of relays with the higher current.
Check inside the sockets for corrosion, and the brake light switch..

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:34 AM

My 08 Panel did the same thing about a month after i bought it. I found a pinched wire on the drivers side reverse light about 8 inches from the bulb socket. Cut, splice, solder, and good as new.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:57 PM

If you have an Ohm meter check from the fuse to the tail light and check from the fuse to ground, good luck.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 PM

Same problem here. Your's ever fixed?

My 07 HHR is doing the exact same thing. Actually, it even blew the 25a fuse input in it.

Did you ever get it figured out? I know this was a few years ago. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Aaron.melissac
My 07 HHR is doing the exact same thing. Actually, it even blew the 25a fuse input in it.

Did you ever get it figured out? I know this was a few years ago. Thanks!
Welcome to the site.

The OP posted up his problem but never came back to the site. So, you won't get an answer from him.
Blowing fuses is going to be some sort of short. Just have to trace it down. Used to be one of my specialties back in my automotive career days.
(yeah that was a long time ago )
Old 06-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Throwing in a 25 amp fuse is an absolute no-no. Too big a risk of causing a fire. Best take it to a shop before it causes more damage.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Throwing in a 25 amp fuse is an absolute no-no. Too big a risk of causing a fire. Best take it to a shop before it causes more damage.
It's only an "absolute no-no" if I intended to leave it in there. I was just checking to make sure it was the correct fuse as the description on the panel was unclear.

I wouldn't have left it in there.

Quick Reply: No tail lights