Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Noise and Heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:36 PM

Noise and Heat

I've done some searches on here regarding over heating and water leaks. None of them seem to match my symptoms:

As an FYI I've had the radiator, A/C condenser, and the whole front facia replaced due to an accident and they have both been working properly for months.

For the past few days when I start my car up from a cold/semi-cold state (it's around 25F here) I notice a liquid sloshing noise coming from the glove box area. The noise goes away within a block usually. But it's a very violent noise like someone was shaking a half-full jug of milk. I checked around behind the panels and the carpet - no moisture.

At this same time I've noticed my efan running when I shut my HHR off after short and long trips - this has never happened to me, even during our hot summer.

The kicker. Today on my drive to work from lunch (about 10 miles) my car suddenly over heated. The temp gauge spiked to the red and the temp warning like came on. The dash read between 259-261 at this time. I turned on the heat immediately and the air temperature was ambient, same temp as the cabin. Luckily I only had to travel about another 1000 feet.

When I checked under the hood just now, the coolant reservoir was empty and the radiator was ice cold, but the motor was still hot. I don't believe there has been any sort of leakage on the ground as I would have noticed. I also don't think the techs forgot to refill the coolant after my service or this would have happened much sooner.

So... any thoughts? I know it's a long post. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by keverz146
I've done some searches on here regarding over heating and water leaks. None of them seem to match my symptoms:

As an FYI I've had the radiator, A/C condenser, and the whole front facia replaced due to an accident and they have both been working properly for months.

For the past few days when I start my car up from a cold/semi-cold state (it's around 25F here) I notice a liquid sloshing noise coming from the glove box area. The noise goes away within a block usually. But it's a very violent noise like someone was shaking a half-full jug of milk. I checked around behind the panels and the carpet - no moisture.

At this same time I've noticed my efan running when I shut my HHR off after short and long trips - this has never happened to me, even during our hot summer.

The kicker. Today on my drive to work from lunch (about 10 miles) my car suddenly over heated. The temp gauge spiked to the red and the temp warning like came on. The dash read between 259-261 at this time. I turned on the heat immediately and the air temperature was ambient, same temp as the cabin. Luckily I only had to travel about another 1000 feet.

When I checked under the hood just now, the coolant reservoir was empty and the radiator was ice cold, but the motor was still hot. I don't believe there has been any sort of leakage on the ground as I would have noticed. I also don't think the techs forgot to refill the coolant after my service or this would have happened much sooner.

So... any thoughts? I know it's a long post. I appreciate the help.
Your description of the problem makes me think you were low on coolant and there is a leak somewhere. The noises in the dash was most likely coming from the heater core, which usually won't make a sound unless it is low on coolant. Could be a kinked heater hose or radiator hose or a radiator (is it aftermarket?) that is not properly circulating the coolant. I would take it back to where the repairs were made.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Your description of the problem makes me think you were low on coolant and there is a leak somewhere. The noises in the dash was most likely coming from the heater core, which usually won't make a sound unless it is low on coolant. Could be a kinked heater hose or radiator hose or a radiator (is it aftermarket?) that is not properly circulating the coolant. I would take it back to where the repairs were made.
Sounds reasonable. I will give them a call. As far as I know the radiator is the same part # as the one that was removed.

Thanks for the response
Old 12-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned

Coolant system needs to be purged. You have a massive embolism of air in the lines and it's preventing the water pump from moving the coolant around the loop. Not uncommon in vehicles that have had radiators replaced in a body shop.

The fans will keep running as long as the temp sensors keep them on--even if the engine is turned off. That alone is not enough to suspect a problem, but the overheat and air trapping is.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

What hhrcrafty said, try running with rad cap loose for 10 mins. or so (watch temp gauge, should see it drop once air is gone) to allow air to escape.
Then fill to proper level. Sounds like an air lock. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 PM

Great! Thanks for the quick responses. I will probably have to do this before I can drive home from work!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

But...he said this.............

If the cooling system needed to be "burped" I would think that would have showed up within the first couple of days....depending on miles driven.

I'd say there's a lose clamp, bolt, fitting, someplace and he's losing coolant. Particularly if he hit the red line in a day or so.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:00 PM

I took it to the crook(dealer) today and it turns out the coolant was a bit low and an air bubble had somehow gotten into the heater core. The tech seemed to think it was lodged in such a way that purging wouldn't have worked anyway. They had to do a vacuum replacement technique with the coolant.

They said they fixed the issues and pressure tested it. The HHR is all better :)

Thanks for the great advice guys you were spot on.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Here is an update. This turned out to be quite the interesting problem.

After having it fixed initially, it began doing it again. I took it in a second time and they informed me about a TSB regarding this issue and some '07 model Chevrolet's.

The remedy was supposed to be putting a new head on the motor. I called last night to get a status and apparently I need a whole new motor. When the tech removed the head they found coolant was getting into the chambers through the block some how. They didn't tell me if the block was cracked or not - but they seemed baffled by this problem.

Long story short, this cooling problem has just landed me a new 2.4l motor. Gotta love it.