Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Only third stop light works, side stop lights no more

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:15 AM

Only third stop light works, side stop lights no more

Hello,

I have recently been made aware that both my side stop lights don't work any more. Only the CHMSL works when using the brakes. Every other light function works, so does cruise control and all other functions. I have no idea when the side stop lights quit working.

- Tail light, turn light and hazard warning flasher work, which indicates that the bulbs are good.
- I undid all my changes for the fog light DRL.
- I then took my HHR to the garage: they checked for error codes with the Tech2 and found no errors. They checked the stop switch, which is ok, too. They checked all the wiring, found nothing.

They suspect the BCM being faulty. Could that be? Or is there anything else which could be responsible?

If it's indeed the BCM: would this be the correct part (2008 LT non-SS)?:
Genuine*MODULE (25928052)*for your*GM Vehicle

Would there be any other parts/special actions needed when changing the BCM (apart from the programming)?

Many thanks for your thoughts and comments!

Regards,
Patrick
Old 07-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Technical Moderator

Did anybody think to actually LOOK at the bulbs? The brake filament and the turn filament are different.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did anybody think to actually LOOK at the bulbs? The brake filament and the turn filament are different.
I had the bright filament go out causing my turn signal indicator to flash very fast. I only remember one bulb but I'm old. It's a very small light.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:29 PM

I see you have a 2008 just an FYI the ign key must be on for the brake lights to work. With the key off only the 3rd brake light will work.

This will mess up someone doing electrical tests if they are not aware of this.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:12 AM

I will double-check the bulbs tonight. But wouldn't it be the same filament for stop, turn and hazard warning light?
Old 07-20-2015, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

Lucky. Just to let you know. On my 2010, the key must be on for any of the brake lights to work. With my key off, I don't even have the 3rd lights.
Guess the GM engineers/programmers decided to change the system at some point over the years.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:31 AM

Replaced the stop/tail light bulbs last evening, didn't make any difference. Also disconnected the battery (negative pole in the trunk) for about 40 minutes. Still, the side stop lights don't come on (even with running engine).

So I fear it's back to the BCM... If it's indeed the BCM: would this be the correct part (2008 LT non-SS)?:
Genuine*BODY CONTROL MODULE (25928052)*for your*GM Vehicle

Because as you can see on my photograph, the actual part number in my HHR is 25906892. But this part doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Would there be any other parts/special actions needed when changing the BCM (apart from the programming)?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Lucky. Just to let you know. On my 2010, the key must be on for any of the brake lights to work. With my key off, I don't even have the 3rd lights.
Guess the GM engineers/programmers decided to change the system at some point over the years.
I did not know that. It's interesting how the electrical has changed over the years.

My 07 all the brake lights work without the key off. On my 08 the 3rd brake light is the only one that will work with the key off.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by SwissHHR
Replaced the stop/tail light bulbs last evening, didn't make any difference. Also disconnected the battery (negative pole in the trunk) for about 40 minutes. Still, the side stop lights don't come on (even with running engine).

So I fear it's back to the BCM... If it's indeed the BCM: would this be the correct part (2008 LT non-SS)?:
Genuine*BODY CONTROL MODULE (25928052)*for your*GM Vehicle

Because as you can see on my photograph, the actual part number in my HHR is 25906892. But this part doesn't seem to be available anymore.

I buy my GM parts from this site. They will make certain you get the correct replacement for your vehicle.

GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts
Old 09-03-2015, 03:27 AM

Finally, the BCM was replaced. Now the side stop lights work again.

Quick Reply: Only third stop light works, side stop lights no more